35 | shea butter

Song above - 2Chainz x It's a Vibe

s h e a   b u t t e r

The sky finally painted itself dark shades of indigo and kissed the sun goodbye. Fall was at its fiercest and the temperature declined steadily. Soon, Halloween decorations would be put up and themed pastries would be served with cinnamon, brown sugar, and extra vanilla frosting.

"Sorry, we're closed!" I yelled absentmindedly as I scrubbed the last of the tables clean. The persistent stranger kept knocking, forcing me to look up. Then I recognized him.

"Jamison?"

He waved at me behind the glass with a friendly grin. Crisp October breeze blew my curly hair back when I opened the door. I shivered as Jamison stood there for a second in a large black coat and jeans, cold hands in his pockets.

"Elizabeth," he acknowledged, looking at me fondly. "Long time no see."

"What are you doing here?"

Jamison slipped inside the cafe without permission like a slick cat. "I guess you could say I was in the neighborhood," he smirked.

Smiling, I said, "That is straight b-s. Why are you really here?"

"I needed to see you."

"Why?"

"You're questioning me like I'm an unwanted guest, Liz. I thought we started a friendship last time I saw you."

My face dropped, "Oh, no. I didn't mean it to come off that way," I blushed nervously. "I'm just curious because I heard you came back, left a note and all."

"Yeah. I mean, you're a cool girl. I was waiting for you to hit me up but you never did. I assumed something was wrong or..." he trailed off, rocking on his feet. I remained quiet. "Ah, I get it. You wasn't really interested. I sound obsessed."

"No," I chastised, "I'm sorry I never got back to you. Stuff happened, I was busy and my boyfriend only helped me re-connect my phone last week."

"Boyfriend?"

"Yeah..." I scratched my head shyly.

"Damn. I turn my back for one minute," Jamison jokes. "You think your boyfriend would mind if I took you out this weekend? Just as friends?"

Of course he would.

"Not without a fight. He's a jealous person. Can't help it."

"All I got is good intentions. I'm not gonna try to win you 'cause it looks like someone beat me to it," Jamison half-smiled. "I just wanna spend time witchu, that's all. I'm new to this city and you're one of the few people I connected with."

"Okay. Where to?"

"Cabanas. It's a restaurant with live dancing and music. Real cool. I can't go and eat alone 'cause then I'ma look like a loser. Who's gonna talk to me if I look like a loser?"