29 | captured

c a p t u r e d

c a p t u r e d

     He told me that he loves me.

I replay the moment over, and over, and over again in my mind; recording the raw scent of lavender and dull cigarette smoke lingering on his silky sheets, the feathery warmth of his breath against my neck. The sound of his low voice as he rolled each letter around his mouth before letting them falter off his tongue. My heart swells, clenches, and my lungs start to give up on me.

As per usual, doubt settles in, reminding me that Aaron wasn't sober. He was high and was drinking as well- people say anything and everything under the influence. And Aaron isn't the type to fall in love.

I counter with the fact that people often speak their mind and even spill secrets when they're drunk. There has to some truth in what he confessed.

"What's up with you?" Matt asks, walking into the kitchen.

I snap out of my day dream. "What do you mean?"

"You just standing there, staring out the window. It's weird." Opening the fridge, Matt searches the space for something to eat.

"Oh, no need for that. I made some sandwiches for you and Aaron. I don't know if you ate already, but I made it just in case. You can save it for later, or just eat it so you won't get hungry agai-" I rambled on.

"Damn, you talk a lot." Matt chuckles. He walks toward me and takes his half. "I did eat, but a little more food won't hurt. Thanks, Elle. I appreciate it." He kisses the top of my head and walks out.

"I'm nervous for absolutely no reason," I grumble. I pick up the other plate and make my way up to their workroom. Matt stays in the living room with an open biology textbook.

Just before I knock, Aaron's phone rings. Through the wooden door I can hear him suck his teeth from annoyance.

"What now?" He answers sharply, petulant as ever. "Matthew spoke to him yesterday. He don't know we workin' together." Aaron lowers his voice. I hear him scrambling through sheets of paper. "But he's not interested in money or power. He's not interested in anything Matthew said we could give him. Which means I can't control him, which makes him a liability. He needs to disappear." Pause. "We good. I already organized a plan."

A plan?

"Off that nígga. We best do it soon, his guard is down. He had níggas looking for him every corner in Freedom City. He's supposedly in down here to collect, but I know he's here for me. When Asap hands him that cash, the muhfucka will be happy as hell. Me and my set can follow him to his hotel, aim for the neck. Just like that."

My eyes widen.

"Matt knows. Run it by the boss, see what he thinks, and let's get this money. I'd be more than happy to do it myself." Pause. "A'ight hood, peace." Aaron hangs up and takes a deep breath.