33 | his world

Mahershala Ali as Diego, song above

h i s w o r l d

     The next morning, I woke with a dull pain pulsing through my lower stomach

The next morning, I woke with a dull pain pulsing through my lower stomach. My eyes opened to see Aaron sleeping blissfully beside me, rosy lips parted just enough for soft intakes of breath. It was relatively quiet besides the low hum of the air conditioning and calm ocean waves outside the glass doors. Nearly taking the bed sheets along with me, I put on Aaron's Nike slides and tip-toed into the connected bathroom. I closed the door once I was inside, pulled down my underwear and saw it.

I groaned and stomped my feet like a child, wondering why in the world God created me female. Boys have things so easy and it isn't fair. I tied my hair into a ponytail and dragged myself into the hot shower, letting the water do its job.

"Aaron!" I called.

Nothing.

"Aaron, wake up! Come here, please!" I tried to sound as calm as possible so he wouldn't think I was dying and have a heart attack.

"Yeah," answered Aaron, opening the bathroom door groggily. He stood barefoot on the carpet while rubbing the sleep from his eyes. "Stop stealing my slides, get your own," he grumbled and walked up the shower to slip them on. He was never a morning person.

"I just started my period."

"Thanks for letting me know," Aaron headed towards the bed.

"No, come back! I need you to go buy tampons," I told him hopefully. No one would ever want to make a run to the convenience store at seven in the morning. He didn't even have any older sisters; I doubt that he's ever had to do something like this before.

After a few sleepy, pensive moments, Aaron sighed something in Spanish. "Anything for you, bebita." He returned to the bathroom, brushed his teeth and washed his face quickly. The icy water had him attentive and alert, "I'ma be as quick as I can- I know you don't wanna be stuck in the shower forever."