20

Not a long while after Legolas and Veryan came back Aragorn came bursting into the castle, a passed out kid in his arms. The King walked right behind him, a young girl following close behind keeping an eye on the boy. Soon the curly haired blond woke up, and when he did the two kids were given some warm soup.

"They had no warning. They were unarmed" Eowyn spoke from her kneeling position next to the two siblings. She stood up and spoke directly to her uncle, who was clutching his face whilst he sat on his throne, Gandalf by his side. "Now the Wild Men are moving through the Westfold, burning as they go. Rick, cot and tree"

Legolas, Veryan and Aragorn looked between one another, Gimli eating his share of food. "Where is mama?" the young girl asked, looking up at Eowyn just as she put a warm blanket over her. She could only shush the girl as the blond pointed down at the soup, urging her to keep eating.

"This is but a taste of the terror that Saruman will unleash. All the more potent for he is driven now by fear of Sauron" Gandalf spoke to Theoden as he pointed his hand in Eowyn's direction, before lowering it. "Ride out and meet him head on"

Gandalf moved his hand to gently lay on Theoden's wooden throne rest. "Draw him away from your women and children. You must fight" 

"You have 2000 good men riding north as we speak. His men will return and fight for their King" Aragorn interjected into the conversation, making a point to Theoden.

This made the King get out of his chair, and start walking. "There will be 300 leagues from here by now"

Gandalf too stood up from his position next to the throne. Yet he was not the one to speak, letting Theoden continue. "I know what it is you want of me, but i will not bring further death to my people. I will not risk open war"

Aragorn yet again decided to speak up. "Open war is upon you, whether you would risk it or not"

This made the King turn around to look at the older male. "Last I looked Theoden, not Aragorn, was King of Rohan"

Veryan didn't dare openly glare at the King, but he sure wanted to. A loud burp coming from Gimli turned his gaze away from the Human King and onto the Dwarf. He snorted as Gimli nonchalant wiped his mouth clean with his beard and kept on eating.

"Then what is the King's decision?" Gandalf addressed Theoden, successfully turning the King's attention away from Aragorn and onto Gandalf.

He didn't say anything, but the look he gave Gandalf wasn't the one of a fighting spirit.

~~~~~~~~~~

"By order of the King the city must empty! We make for the refuge of Helm's Deep! Do not burden yourself with treasures! Take only the provisions you need!"

The group of five made their way through the croud of townspeople, Gandalf leading them. "They flee to the mountains when they should stand and fight! Who will defend them if not their King?"

Aragorn sped up to walk besides Gandalf just as they reached the stables. "He's only doing what he thinks is best for his people. Helm's Deep has saved them in the past"

"There is no way out of that ravine. Theoden is walking into a trap. He thinks he's leading them to safety. What they will get is a massacre. Theoden has a strong will, but I fear for him. I fear for the survival of Rohan. He will need you before the end, Aragorn. The people of Rohan will need you. The defenses have to hold" Gandalf spoke back to Aragorn. The younger male listened, opening the gates of Shadowfax's pen for Gandalf. 

"They will hold" Aragorn reassured the White Wizard, making him visibly pleased. 

Gandalf turned around and walked to Shadowfax's side, petting him. "The Grey Pilgrim. That's what they used to call me. Three hundred lives of Men I've walked this Earth, and now I have no time. With luck, my search will not be in vain"