22

After some time the rest of the group joined Aragorn and Theoden as they talked. "A great host, you say?" 

"All Isengard is emptied" Aragorn answered the King. And Theoden asked again. "How many?"

"Ten thousand strong at least" at Aragorn's words Theoden turned around with his eyes as wide as they could be. "Ten thousand?" he asked as if he didn't believe what he had heard earlier.

"It is an army bred for a single purpose: To destroy the world of Men. They will he here by nightfall" Theoden heard every word Aragorn said, and with a determined glint in his eyes he turned around to walk away from the group. "Let them come!"

~~~~~~~~~~

The group followed Theoden out of the castle, listening to him ordering his men around. They reached the gates of Helm's Deep, and opened them, stepping outside. "We will cover the causeway and the gate from above. No army has ever breached the Deeping Wall or set foot inside the Hornburg!" Theoden told his plan to the four other men.

Gimli, leaning against his axe, spoke his mind. "This is no rabble of mindless Orcs. These are Uruk-hai. Their armor is thick and their shields broad"

Theoden walked up to Gimli, looking down at him. "I have fought many wars, Master Dwarf. I know how to defend my own keep"

Gimli only stood there as Theoden walked past him and back into the stone walls of Helm's Deep, Aragorn and Legolas following his lead. Now that Veryan and Gimli were left alone the raven head could speak his own mind. "You would be right, Gimli. There is no way this war will be anything like King Theoden has ever faced before" he whispered down to the Dwarf before turning around and following the group, Gimli walking right behind him.

~~~~~~~~~~

"They will break upon this fortress like water on rock. Saruman's hordes will pillage and burn. We've seen it before. Crops can be resown, homes rebuilt. Within these walls we will outlast them" Theoden talked as he lead them through the walls of Helm's Deep, boosting all the way there.

Aragorn, having walked the closest to the King, had to speak. "They do not come to destroy Rohan's crops or villages. They come to destroy it's people, down to the last child"

Seemingly having enough Theoden turned around and gripped Aragorn's collar, pulling him in, his eyes betraying the fear he felt. "What would you have me do? Look at my men. Their courage hangs by a thread. If this is to be our end, then I would have them make such an end as to be worthy of remembrance" 

With those words said he turned around, prepared to walk away, but Aragorn spoke once again. "Send out riders, my lord. You must call for aid"

Theoden slowly walked back to Aragorn, a condescending smile plastered on his face. "And who will come? Elves? Dwarves? We are not so lucky in our friends as you. The old alliances are dead"

"Gondor will answer" Aragorn told the King, but he wasn't impressed. "Gondor?! Where was Gondor when the Westfold fell?! Where was Gondor when our enemies closed in around us?! Where was Gon-?"

Having thought that he said enough, Theoden cut himself of, and instead spoke something else. "No, my lord Aragorn, we are alone" 

With that said and done Theoden once again turned around and walked away from the group, ordering his men around once again. Veryan knew a person that would of helped, if only they were alive. Only a couple of days ago did he think about Beorn once again. He did visit Beorn once or twice when he traveled with Gandalf a long time ago, but his mind registered just a couple of days ago that Beorn might be no more. He had the lifespan of a Human, and he might already be put to rest. This broke Veryan's heart to know, but he was happy Beorn could now rest in peace, the peace that he so deserved.