Chapter 1

May 1981- Los Angeles, California
————————————————————
My name is Isabelle and I just turned 18 in April and now i'm fucked.. and not the good kind. I've been on my own for just over two years now and I was forced out of my apartment because I couldn't keep up with rent. When I got my eviction noticed I immediately put an ad in the paper looking for a roommate to crash with and low rent.
A couple days later I got a call from this guy named Tommy who found my ad in The Recycler. He said that there's some space but there's already him and two other dudes living there if I want to come check it out. He then mentioned how much rent was... I said i'll take it and want to move in asap. My previous place was pretty damn small and I didn't own much. I was paid $1000 for the mattress, bed frame, night stand, dresser, and couch. There was no way I could take all that crap with me. I have a 1979 Chevy Caprice and couldn't fit it in there anyway.
     I pulled up to some run down, two story apartment building right up the street from the Whisky A Go-Go. The place seemed do-able, granted I didn't have a choice anyway. I grabbed my suitcase and duffel bag and went to the apartment number Tommy gave me. I knocked on the door and a second or two later a man with long blonde hair wearing jeans and a white cutoff shirt opened the door. He did a quick look up and down of me and had a subtle smirk plastered on his face.
     He stuck his hand out- "Hey you must be the new roomie. I'm Vince."
     "Isabelle." I said struggling to shake his hand so my bag doesn't fall off my shoulder.
     "Here let me help you with those." He said grabbing my suitcase for me. "I'm still not very sure what the room situation is so i'll wait for the boys to get back so they can sort that out." I just nodded along and put my luggage down next to a couch that looked like it had better days. "In the mean time just make yourself comfortable. Kitchen is over here, down that way is the bathroom and bedrooms and this is obviously the living room." He said pointing in each direction and doing a little spin in the living room. I just giggled at his little antics.
     I followed him to the kitchen and sat down on one of the old barstools at the counter while he grabbed two beers from the fridge.
"Thanks" I said a little taken back and realized he didn't know I wasn't 21. I mean I drink, this is nothing un-natural to me nor does it bother me.
      "So... Isabelle" He took another sip. "You got a boyfriend or something.."
     I giggled "Uh no.. no I do not" and took another sip and just shook my head. A smirk started to appear across his face. "Why? Do you have a girlfriend or something?"
     "Ha no. No I don't." He said like he was happy about it. No judgment though. If you're happy, you're happy.
     "Ah I see..." I took another sip and just kinda looked into his eyes to try and see what he's thinking.
     "How old are you anyway?" He said calmly and took more sips of his Budweiser.
     "I uh.. I just turned 18 last month."
     He spits his beer out and coughed a little. "You *cough* just turned 18?" He said genuinely shocked. "You could have fooled me."
     I laugh a little hoping that it wouldn't scare him off or make him treat me like a child.
     "Well if you're only 18 then that means no more for you missy" he said grabbing the beer out of my hands.
     "What the fuck dude" I said throwing my hands up and making a smiley confused face.
     "Nah i'm just fucking with ya haha" he said handing it back to me. I just shook my head. "You do have a fake though right?"
     "Oh hell yeah" I said taking another sip.
     He just smiled and looked sort of proud. "So how did you end up here anyway?" He asked seeming actually interested.
     "Well... actually I had to leave my previous place. Sorta just a rent issue thing." I said not sharing too much.
     "How much was the rent, could you just not keep up with it?" He said still seeming actually interested.
     "The rent was only 300 but-"
     "300!!? That's less than what we're asking for!"
     "Yeah... it wasn't exactly a money issue. I uh.. The rent was actually 1,100 a month but I got it a bit cheaper.." I said nervously.
     "Yeah like $800 cheaper! How long did you live there?" He asked.
     "2 years"
     "And what- you just got kicked out or something?"
     "Well my landlords wife gave me the eviction notice."
     "For what? She found out that he wasn't charging you enough?"
     "Well..." I took a deep, shake-y breath "The reason I got the rent so cheap is because I was.. uh"
     "Nooooo" He said with his jaw dropped in shock.
     "Yeahhhhh... I was sleeping with him because with my job- no way in hell could I have ever made the rent." Vince still stood there in disbelief. "So she found out, i'm still not sure how, but she did. She lost her mind and demanded I move out before I get the living shit beat the hell out of me so.. I left."
     "What the fuuuuuck."
     "Yeah... pretty messed up, right" I said a bit shameful.
     "How often did you have to.. ya know?"
     "Twice every two weeks or once a week." I said avoiding eye contact and scratching my head.
     "Did you have to do it in your apartment?"
     "No. Oh thank God no I didn't. That was the one thing I got out of that terrible experience. And before you ask, no I didn't enjoy it. Of course when you have sex you feel the sensation and people are bound to enjoy that feeling but everything but that was terrible. I lost that sensation regularly because I remembered that it was that old man and not some rockstar like the guys from Van Halen."
     "And you said you lived there for two years..?" He asked worried
     "Yeah." I took a deep breath and sighed.
     "So you were 16." He said sternly.
     "Um. Yeah" I said shamefully and looked down.
     "And he- he knew that" He said slightly louder like he was getting angry.
     "mhm.."
     He took a deep breath and sighed. "Please tell me you were not the came with this insane idea."
     "No but I agreed to... i'm really not that kind of person, sure I'll have my fun but I don't sleep with someone for money. Or in this case so I don't have to pay, but I had no money, barley a job and no one to be with, so I didn't have a choice if i wanted to have a home."
     He took a deep breath and just looked sad. "Where's your family.."
     "I don't know. I left. My mom was a good person but left my dad. Unfortunately I couldn't go with her, I still don't know why she couldn't take me but she wanted me and I know that for a fact. I don't even know if she is alive. I tried to find her when I left but nothing. My dad was the opposite of her. A bad person who wanted nothing to do with me. It's.." I start to get a little stuffy and want to cry but I got to keep it together.
     "Hey hey, it's ok. You don't have to." He said leaning over the counter and putting his hand on mine. I look up at Vince's eyes and just give him a forced smile. "You should talk to Nikki when he gets back with Tommy... I think you two would have a lot in common." He said sweetly. I just gave him a real smile. "And just to be clear, even though you're super hot doesn't mean that little ordeal is gonna work here too" I just laugh while holding his hand. "Unless..." He smirks and I sit there with my jaw dropped and smiling. "I'm kidding. There's three of us, you'd be worn out by the end of the week." He said smirking and I looked down blushing.
      "Yeah this is going to work out just fine" I said smiling widely.
————————————————————