Chapter 38

Tonight, I have 4th shift this week and it's only Tuesday. Nikki's been busting his ass and harassing every bar in the Los Angeles area, trying to get gigs. "Hey Ashley" I sighed as I walked into work.
     "Heyyyy, how'd you get stuck with the early shift?" She says greeting me with open arms.
     "I'm working a double tonight" I throw my bag on the dressing room couch.
     "How'd you get stuck with that?"
     "I asked for it. We just got a house."
     "You guys finally moved in together?!" She shouts excitedly.
     "Yeahhhhh... we're renting out a house right now"
     "That's awesome Iz! Good for you!" She smiles. I shoot her a obvious fake smile. Though, of course I love Nikki and love living with him, i'm fucking stressed.
     "Alright, well, I got to get ready."
     "Good luck tonight!" She blows me a kiss.

     The first shift is going well, pretty slow, but not too bad. I stepped away from the bar to make a phone call.
     "Hello"
     "Hey Nikki. You got a few minutes?"
     "Yeah what's up?" He asked worriedly.
     "Do you think you can come down here for a bit? It's pretty slow and I'll slip ya a few drinks."
     "Yeah no problem. I'll be there in 15."
     "Thank you love" I sigh in relief.
     "I love you, bye"
     "Love ya too." I hung up.
      Waiting impatiently for Nikki to arrive, I mindlessly start cleaning the glasses. Bartending is actually fun, i've always wanted to be a bartender in a shitty dive bar, but somehow I ended up being a bartender in a fucking strip club! Life's weird ain't it? This one girl, Hannah, is one of, if not the best looking dancer here, and seems to have a problem with me. All these little things are bothering me and I'm feeling like I'm about to break down. "Oh where's my favorite roommate?" I hear a cheerful voice come from the door. Thank God!
     I run up to him from behind the bar, "Nikki" I sigh, giving him one of the tightest hugs I think I've ever given.
     "Hey baby, what's wrong?" he asks me, immediately becoming worried.
     "Nothing, I'm fine. I just really wanted to see you right now... And you know we're not just roommates anymore right?"
     "Come on." He says with a slight smile, guiding me with his hand on my back. He takes a seat at the bar and I go behind it.
     "What can I get ya?"
     "A cheeseburger with a side of truth from my girlfriend?"
     "Would you like American, Swiss, Cheddar, or Blue?"
     "Isabelle.."
     "Mmm sorry, I don't think we have that one." I say tapping the pen on my cheek.
     "Sweetie, I'm being serious.."
     "So am I! If you don't pick, I will." I say shifting my weight.
     "I'm not even that hungry." He said, crossing his arms.
     "Well I am and I'm not allowed to order food while on shift so just let me eat damnit!" I whisper-scream.
     "Fine, order whatever you want" He said, placing some cash on the bar.
     "I love you baby" I peck his lip from over the bar and "run" to put in my order.
     "Yeah I love you too..."

     I tip toe as quietly as I can into the house, not wanting to wake Nikki. I feel like shit and smell of a strip club. Trust me, that shit lingers. I decide to hop in the shower and clean the stench off me.

Nikki's POV

     I am so fucked. Isabelle is probably up, waiting for me to get home. I promise I wasn't doing anything bad! I just went out. Only thing is, she might kill me. She got off work an hour ago and I'm just getting home at 1:30. I tiptoe through the front door and hear the shower running and all her stuff sitting on the couch. She doesn't know I'm not home... * The shower turns off* Shit I gotta get in bed before she notices! I tip-toe run into the bedroom and close the door. I threw my clothes on the floor and quickly got under the covers and pretended to sleep. The bedroom door creaks open and I hear the drawer being opened and ruffling from the other side of the room. I feel wet lips plant a kiss on my cheek and her hands run through my hair. The bedroom door closes again but I don't hear footsteps anymore. Suddenly the hair dryer in the bathroom turns on. I sit myself up and a quilt starts to overtake me. I rub my eyes hard enough to make it look like I had just woken up. Opening the bathroom door lazily, Isabelle is slightly frightened from not expecting to see me. "Hey baby" she says over the sound of the blow dryer. I wrap my arms around her waist and tuck my face into her neck.
     "How was work babe?" I mumble.
     She turns off the hair dryer "Ya know. Just the usual." She sighed, putting her hands on mine.
     "I love you" I whisper
     "I love you too" She whispers back.
     "Thanksgiving is next week... what do you want to do"
     "I got it covered. Don't worry about it."
     She sighed once more "How about you go back to bed and I'll meet you in there, ok?"
     I smile with almost shut eyes and kiss her before I leave.

     The next morning I wake up with a massive headache but with a lovely lady in my arms. God, only if she knew how much I wish I could tell her. Supposedly Vince told her to talk to me "because we'd have a lot in common." I think that couple she told me about a while ago is Nona and Tom... No way she can ever know. I love them to death but I put that life behind me for a reason. It has to be them though. What are the chances that she knew an older couple with a young boy around her age in Jerome Idaho? Slim to none. Maybe I should call them...
     "Good morning Nikki" she quietly mumbles as she shifts to hold my waist and lay her head on my chest."
     I sigh in response "Good morning darlin."
————————————————————