Chapter 45

"Where do I start? Should we begin with you forgetting the album release? The communication issues? That you parade yourself for a job? That you have me sinking all my money into this place every damn month? The trust issues? Or maybe the cherry on top of the sundae- the one who it all comes back to, Vince." Nikki screams.
     "What the hell does he have to do with anything?"
     "How he comes in every week, you serve him drinks, a dance or two. Hell, maybe you even go home with him!" He accuses.
     "I would NEVER sleep with him!"
     "You have before! And you kept it from me the first time, so why should I believe you're not keeping it from me again?"
     "Nikki.. I love you. And only you. Everything that I had with everyone in my life is in the past... I could not imagine my life without you in it."
     "You know what? I. Don't. Believe you. Hey, there come those trust issues again! Am I right or what?" He begins to laugh.
     "I only talked to him about that because he was the one you wouldn't trust me with..."
     "EXACTLY! You're proving my point!"
     "I make the money to keep this damn place, you should be thanking me!"
     "And I bet the reason you "keep a roof over our heads" is because you don't have a sign on your legs that says "Now Open" huh?"
     "I waitress! And bartend! I turned down the offer to be a stage girl knowing that I would make twice as much because of you"

     I begin to pace around the room and catch my breath "If I were having something with Vince, do you really think Tommy wouldn't tell you about it? Ya know, since I seem to be going home with him all the time? Hey, there come those communication issues again!" I remark.
     "I don't even know where to begin, but that fucking job is insulting to me!"
     "You're the one who suggested I get it!"
      He shouts more harshly "THAT WAS BEFORE- ya know what, nothing I say to you will ever get it through your THICK FUCKING SKULL THAT YOU ARE  A SLUT!"
     That shut my mouth. I never thought- no matter how bad things got between us- he would ever call me such a thing. Not to my face, and not like that. I could feel my eyes starting to water and my heart rate increasing. How could he say something like that to me? I had never cheated on him, not once. I had never even thought about it. How could he accuse me of something so terrible? Especially with Vince. "You know what?" I take a deep breath. "I'm done," I said firmly. "I can't do this anymore. I can't be with someone who doesn't trust me and who thinks so little of me. I deserve better than this. You feel trapped? Feel like you're stuck with me? Wasting your time and money? Then I'll finally set you fucking free! How about that?"
     "Fine! Leave then! Go be a slut somewhere else!" he yelled, throwing a glass against the wall, shattering it into a million pieces.
     I grabbed my purse and headed for the door, tears streaming down my face. As I walked out, I realized that this was just one step closer to the end of our relationship. I could go to Tommy's. Vince was there and that would just add salt to the deep, deep wound. So, I got in my car and just started driving. After almost getting in a crash from not being able to see through the tears in my eyes I pulled over to take a few breaths. After calming myself down, I found myself outside of Mick's apartment building. I knock on the door announcing myself and pleading that he'll let me inside. "Isabelle?" He questions as he opens the door.
     "It's bad... its really bad Mick." I fight to get out of my mouth.
     "Wha- what do you mean?"
     "We *sniffles* we had a fight.." I break down "It was really bad this time Mick- I don't know what to do" I break down and cry deeply into his chest. "I can't do this anymore. I don't know what I'm supposed to do" I cry so hard I feel like I'm going to pass out, I can barely breathe. Mick holds me tight, stroking my hair and whispering words of comfort. After a while, my sobs begin to subside, and I pull away to look at him. I take a deep breath and try to compose myself. "I'm sorry," I say, wiping away my tears. "I didn't mean to fall apart like that."
     "Don't apologize," Mick says softly. "You're going through a tough time, and you need someone to listen to you. That's what friends are for."
     I nod, feeling grateful for his understanding. "I just don't know what to do now. I can't go back there, not after what he said to me. And I don't have anywhere else to go."
     "Why not the guy's apartment?"
     "Vince is there, he's the whole reason he had a fight in the first place." Mick's expression becomes serious.
     "You can stay here if you want," he offers. "Feel free to crash on the couch. I have some pillows and blankets I can give you."
     I stare at him, feeling overwhelmed by everything. "Are you sure?" I ask.
     He nods. "I'm sure. You're my friend, Isabelle. I want to help you. No matter how much you are like those dumbfucks, I still love ya."
    I throw my arms around him, hugging him tightly I whisper "Thank you." I feel like I hit rock bottom, literally. My eyes are so puffy from crying, it looks like a rock was thrown in my face. Falling asleep on his couch and staring at the ceiling, I hug the pillow tightly just wishing that it was Nikki instead. But it's not. I may not go to Church or pray that often but Please please God... do not let this be the end.
————————————————————