Chapter 9 - Hunters

Dmitri

After leaving Sky's shop yesterday, I ordered Ivan to get all the information we needed from Rene. Which pack she is from? Why is she in Willow Falls? More specifically, why she is working in Sky's shop.

There was nothing significant in Sky's file, which I had read through yesterday afternoon after Sheriff Mauret sent it over. Rene's presence at her shop could be coincidental. However, my intuition was telling me otherwise.

As confirmed by Ivan last night when he called me after talking with Rene. She is part of Alpha Jacobson's Silver Wood pack. A member of his surveillance team inserted into Sky's life to observe her movements. Rene was scheduled to abruptly leave Sky's employment and head back to Silver Wood Pack as soon as we took up occupation on the bordering land in a couple of weeks. More than that, she could not divulge, Alpha's orders.

Hence, we find ourselves sitting in Jacobson's conference room in the Silver Wood pack house today. Ivan, Kira, and I sitting on one side with Jacobson, his beta Jason, and Rene on the other. Rene has put in a personal day with Sky, using her meeting and wanting to spend time with Ivan as an excuse. Questionable but not entirely untrue, and it seems Sky, in her naivety, fell for it.

Jacobson has already been informed that Rene and Ivan are in the process of binding. Obvious to anyone with eyes. These two struggle to be apart, with just a table in the middle. Rene will leave with us today, becoming part of our pack. I was still unsure if we could trust her, which would prove problematic if we couldn't, considering Ivan is my beta.

"You know why I'm here, so tell me everything," I state flatly, addressing Jacobson as Sky's file from the Sheriff lies on the table before me. The tension in the room is thick, making everyone, including the excuse of an Alpha in front of me, uncomfortable.

"We received some intel a couple of months back indicating that Sky may be involved with Hunters," Jacobson responds, trying to counter my natural aura of power with his own. However, as a Lycan, that feat is near impossible, and I see his eye twitching under the pressure.

I don't show my surprise that he was able to gather information I was unaware of. We have our own spies and surveillance infiltrating the Hunter's network. More skilled than Jacobson's team, which begs the question of exactly how he got his hands on something I didn't.

I wait for more, but Jacobson remains silent.

"Intel from who." Anger laces my tone. I hate dragging information out of people. Especially an Alpha who should just supply everything quickly and concisely. He looks nervous.

"A few months back, there was an incident near Sky's house, out in the forest. We took down two Hunters who were loitering close to her residence. One was killed during the struggle, and the other managed to take a suicide tablet before we could stop him. On one of them, we found a single piece of paper with Sky's name and address. That's all. No other information." Jacobson slides a file of his own across the table. He is now shifting uncomfortably in his chair, well aware of the implications of what he is saying.

"Everything we know is in there. Since the communication was intercepted, we have had six more incidents to the one I just mentioned, of Hunters in the Willow Falls area, with four ending in fatalities and two escaping capture." I can hear the anxiety seeping into his words. I assume he knows my next question.

"Why am I only being informed of this now?" My tone is deathly, the severity of the situation not lost on anyone.

"We didn't see the need as there have been no further incidents within the last two months," he retorts defensively.

"We are talking about Hunters sniffing around a human under your protection. Protection which has now been entrusted to myself and my pack. Not to mention you still don't know if she is working with them or not. And you let two Hunters escape!" I slam my fist down, making everyone on that side of the table jump, as a crack appears in the big wooden conference table.

The anger I'm feeling admittedly runs deeper than just my spoken words. The thought of anything happening to Sky sat heavy in my chest. Heavier than it should. Even more disturbing was the idea that she may be working with the Hunters, potentially slipping them information. I didn't know what I would do if that were the case. She is making me feel all kinds of things I'm not accustomed to, and it's making me uncomfortable.

"This situation should have been discussed before the handover of the land. I have every right to annul the contract between us, sever the alliance with you and withhold assistance should you and your pack come under attack due to your weakened defenses. The High Council would see no fault in my actions," I spit out, staring at Jacobson, who has visibly paled at my words. The High Council has final authority in matters where a breach of contract exists between supernatural's.

He knows what I am saying is valid, but he needed my intel to ensure the safety of his pack and didn't want to jeopardize the deal. I understand protecting your pack comes first. However, the way he has done it is dishonorable and underhanded. He assumed we wouldn't find out and couldn't have factored in our impromptu meeting with Rene at Sky's, not to mention Ivan and Rene's binding.

I stare at him emotionlessly, feeling him squirm under my scrutiny. Fear is coming off him in waves. My reputation does not usually include mercy and forgiveness.

Rene and his beta give him sideway glances, their heads lowered. I don't know how he became Alpha. If I were him, I wouldn't be able to hold my head up high. He should at least have a backbone right now, especially in front of his pack members, not cringing like he is.

"Your only saving grace is the fact that renovations on that land are already halfway through, and with our new pack members arriving next month, we need the space." Relief washes over Jacobson's face as the words are spoken. Disgusting. He is way too readable for an Alpha.

I know the real reason I'm continuing with this deal has everything to do with Sky, not this flimsy excuse I've just given—Believable to some but not those closest to me. Ivan and Kira are as confused by my decision. I can sense it.

They know I could easily find new land and have it ready when new pack members arrive. I've managed bigger things in less time.

It's not even like I'm planning on seeing Sky again or doing anything about my weird attraction toward her. I swore last night, after running for nearly an hour in my Lycan form, a necessity to blow off steam after finally meeting her face to face, that I was not getting involved with her. Absolutely not.

I am not known for my lenience. A reputation that has often portrayed me as a monster but has kept my pack safe and made us the most powerful one on this side of the equator. Coupled with me being a Lycan, the stories about the White Claw pack are not always pleasant. The fact that Sky has already unknowingly impacted this situation and my decision clearly indicates exactly why I had to avoid her. Easily done. After I figure out her connection to the Hunters, I say to myself. Trying to convince myself, perhaps.

Please don't forget to comment and vote!