Chapter 75 - Date

Dmitri

It's a week since Sky has woken up. A week of living with her in the same house. A week of growing more in love with her. With everything she did. Everything she was. With her soul. Over the last week, we found ourselves staying up until the wee hours of the morning—either reading, watching movies, or talking. We spoke about our past, things that had happened, and memorable events. Things that have shaped us and made us who we are. Bad things and good things. I told her things I don't recall ever sharing with anyone.

The closer we became, the more I wanted in terms of our relationship. I really didn't care if she was my destined mate, if we were binding or not. I wanted Sky. I wanted her to be mine. I was in love with her.

Tonight, I planned on telling her exactly how I felt and hoped she felt the same way. I arranged for a table to be set up outside in the backyard, lights, and candles littering the entire area, creating a romantic, cozy atmosphere as the sun set. A chef friend of mine had come over and cooked us a vegetarian meal that I could just serve later. The wine was on ice, and soft music played in the background. It was perfect.

I was dressed in a black suit and crisp white shirt, waiting impatiently for her to get home. Sky had agreed to rent the shop from me and had been busy all week getting things set up. I told her I wasn't interested in taking her money, but she insisted. Something I would change later on.

The sound of her beat-up jeep pulling into the driveway had my stomach clenching anxiously. We had gone to collect it earlier in the week, as she told me she didn't want to rely solely on me when it came to her getting around. Agreeing, I fitted it with a tracker to ensure she got where she was going safely. I also had men discreetly watching her when she wasn't with me.

She unlocks the door, surprised when she sees me standing there, all dressed up.

"Wow, you look...really nice." She takes a massive gulp as she eyes me up and down.

"Will you join me on a date?" I ask her, a smile forming on her face in response.

"Sure, where are we going?" She steps inside, closing the door behind her.

"It's a surprise. If you want to freshen up and meet me here in half an hour?" I ask her, laughing as she squints at me.

"Half an hour? Mmmm, I'll try, but I can't make any promises." She laughs excitedly, dropping her bag on the table by the door before dashing upstairs. So cute.

I sit on the couch, patiently waiting for her, as I hear her rushing around upstairs. I pat my chest pocket, making sure the box is safely inside.

Thirty minutes later, almost exactly, I hear Sky descending the stairs. I knew she hated being late.

I sit for a moment, just reveling in her scent as it becomes more potent the closer she gets.

As she reaches the bottom of the stairs, I get up. I'm blown away. She looks gorgeous. She is wearing a cream-colored lace bohemian-style evening dress. It has thin straps with embroidery running along the edging, accentuating her cleavage. The section covering her breasts is not see-through, but the portion around her waist is, the intricate embroidery covering hinting at the flesh below. The bottom of the dress has an embroidered section reaching knee high before layering off in lace which reaches the floor. She is wearing heeled white shoes with a strap that wraps around her ankles midway up her shin.

Sky's hair is simply plated, her beautiful freckles dancing over slightly flushed cheeks. She has a big smile, and her hazel eyes similarly travel along my body before our eyes lock.

"You look stunning, Skylar." I walk towards her, her heartbeat increasing as I approach. She is nervous. As am I, like a schoolboy picking his date up for prom.

"There's just one thing missing?" I ask, causing her to look down at herself in confusion. "Turn around," I instruct. She turns around slowly as I remove the necklace from my pocket. My mother's necklace. The one I gave her over a year ago before fate interfered with our plans. I hold the ends between my fingers and bring it over her head, laying it around her neck. Her hand goes to the pendant as I clasp it in place. She turns around, tears brimming in her eyes.

"I never thought I would see this again, Dmitri. I never thought you would want me to have it ever again." Her voice is quiet and filled with so much emotion. I grasp her hand, pulling her towards me, my lips meeting hers. She tastes like a lifetime, and I'm sure I am drowning in her, but I don't want to come up for air, ever. Her hands are on my chest, steadying her as our mouths devour each other. I will never get tired of her. Even if I lived another seven hundred years, I would never tire of being around her. I am the first to pull away, aware that if we carry on, dinner will be a thing of the past. But what I have to say is important.

She takes a deep breath, her eyes hooded with passion, tears no longer swimming on the edge. I'm sure what she sees in me mirrors her look.

"Shall we," I say, taking her hand as I lead her towards the open sliding doors that a week ago had been part of the finale of a night I wish never to repeat. I push the thought of almost losing her to the side. Tonight was about celebrating. It was about me and Sky.

She audibly gasps as the back garden comes into view, the lights creating the perfect atmosphere for an intimate night.

"This is absolutely beautiful, Dmitri." She is taking everything in, her mouth open in awe. "No one has ever done anything like this for me," she says, smiling up at me. 

While I am glad that I am the first man to have the honor of spoiling Sky like this and seeing these emotions and expressions play across her gorgeous face, I feel sad at the same time. She deserves this so much sooner. She should have been experiencing this at twenty years old, not at nearly thirty years old. This curse has taken so much from her while giving me the biggest gift.

That would change tonight.

Please don't forget to comment and vote!