Chapter 30 - Complicated

Dmitri

I left Sky at around ten this morning, and it was already after five. The meeting consisted of the normal bitching between supernatural species. We settled and signed three treaties, two between neighboring werewolf and vampire groups and the third between a group of vampires and a witch coven in the East.

Supernaturals long ago decided that fighting each other and trying to live amongst humans resulted in significant casualties. Working together allowed some semblance of living, albeit often in the shadow of the human species or at least inconspicuously. This arrangement was difficult to maintain and tenuous at times, with representatives of the species bridging the gaps and maintaining order and control. This Annual Gathering had been set up centuries ago to keep the various races interacting and to forge and maintain alliances between species.

I had been chairing the meeting along with the other two representatives, Marko Petrovic for the Vampire race and Raina Synn, a powerful witch nominated by the minority groups as their representative. Raina is said to be one of the most powerful witches alive, her lineage tracing back to the first witch ever heard of in history, Elsabeth.

Apart from dealing with the treaties during these last few hours, I've had to put up with nearly every person I speak to questioning me about Sky. Why she is here, who she is to me. Some of the men seem to be way too interested in her, while others are just curious. I've been forced to use my Alpha aura on more than one occasion to ensure the message was conveyed that she was under my protection and anyone who harmed or touched her would face the consequences.

This seemed to spark more curiosity and speculation as I usually avoided human interaction, and my possessiveness seemed untoward. Protection duty is also delegated to pack members and our security team, not myself personally. Sky's suggestion to have Ben stay with her as protection from any potential hunter attacks propelled us into this situation. The thoughts of anyone but me looking after her or leaving her alone were not ones I seemed to be able to entertain at the time. I didn't really have a chance to think of the repercussions it would cause bringing her here.

Speaking of the devil, Ben, or Benjamin as I know him based on previous interactions with his pack, also approached me, asking if he could see Sky to explain things. He, too, questioned my involvement with her, and his interest elicited a sliver of jealousy I had to trample down. Obviously, to all asking, I brushed my relationship with Sky off as being purely professional. Not wanting to admit to myself, let alone anyone else, that the situation is unusual for me and that something is going on between the two of us.

As I approach the door to our suite, I hear Elanor and Sky's laughter pierce the silence. I asked her to keep Sky company. I felt bad leaving her alone in a place where walking around might put her in a situation that I wasn't sure she could handle. Not everyone here tolerated humans, and even though I issued a warning about her being under my protection, curiosity from others might still put her in their path.

Elanor had many 'friends' and came with none other than Marko as his plus one. She was a socialite, and her beauty made her desirable to men of all species. I had no problem with her escapades with other men. The apparent lack of jealousy when it came to Elanor with other men, compared to Sky, did make me wonder. With Sky, I wanted to dismember any man who even came near her.

I open the door to the room to find Sky and Elanor sitting at the dining room table, laughing, champagne glasses in hand and a half-empty bottle of Dom Perignon on the table. Hiding my surprise, I close the door and turn around, my eyes meeting Sky's big hazel ones, a huge smile plastered on her flushed face. Elanor, sitting opposite her with her back to me, looks up at me over her shoulder, a twinkle in her eye.

Removing my jacket, I toss it on the couch. Sky's eyes are hungrily roaming my body, from my lips, down my shirt, all the way down my legs, before she looks up again. She is trouble.

"You two look like you are having fun," I say, approaching the table.

"Ahh, babe, we're so glad you could finally join us." Elanor gracefully gets up to greet me. She moves in for a kiss, nearly landing one full on my lips before I angle my head to the side, her lips planting a kiss on my cheek instead. I see a flash of hurt on her face from my subtle rebuff, which she quickly covers with a smile.

Sky is now looking at the table, her smile completely gone from her beautiful face.

"Glass of champagne?" Elanor offers, her hand looping around my arm.

"No, thank you. I think you guys have had enough. We have a big night tonight." I am staring at Sky, who has briefly looked up and back down again, noticing Elanor's arm through mine.

"Yip, I definitely think I have had enough." She gets up, a smile on her face that does not meet her eyes. "Elanor, it was so nice meeting you. I think I'll give you guys some privacy and take advantage of the huge tub." She seems to be forcing cheeriness into her voice as she gestures to the bathroom before hastily exiting this situation. I watch her enter the bathroom, the door closing behind her.

"You should go, Elanor. Marko is probably waiting for you." I remove my arm from her grasp and take a step back as I run my hands through my hair, irritation at this situation prickling my mood.

I don't want Sky to think anything serious is going on between Elanor and me. While I shouldn't care, I do. This whole situation is irrational. The sooner I find out what the Hunters want with Sky, the sooner I can rid myself of all this and return to the way it was before.

"There's something different with you," Elanor says, eyeing me carefully. "Are you even jealous that I'm here with Marko?"

I don't hesitate to answer. "No, why would I be? We know where we stand with each other." The irritation I feel seeps into my tone.

"Do we? I've been around for decades, coming when you call, being there for you when you need me. Are you saying you feel nothing for me after everything?"

"Of course not. You know I care for you, Elanor." I meant it. I did care for her. But not anything more than a friend with benefits.

"But you don't love me. And you have never looked at me like I have just seen you look at that human. What is going on with you two? Do you care for her? Do you love her?"

"Enough," I growl, looking up at her. "You should go." The tone of my voice broaches no further discussion.

She is hurt. She doesn't say another word as she turns around, grabs her clutch from the couch, and leaves, the door clicking closed behind her. 

Please don't forget to comment and vote!

Two ways you can support me if you love the book so far (all monies go towards publishing fees for my book that I am writing offline and which I hope to publish on Amazon in late 2024:)

Patreon, where I share chapters in advance for any ongoing books (except for The Last Legion, which is nearing its end) https://www.patreon.com/greenwitchwrites

Or you could buy me a coffee here https://www.buymeacoffee.com/greenwitchwrite

Check out my latest werewolf gem called The Alpha Kings Queen here https://www.wattpad.com/story/352230412-the-alpha-kings-queen