Chapter 76 - Heaven

Skylar

I'm standing next to the sexiest man alive, looking out at a garden filled with lanterns and candles, a beautifully decorated table set up under a tree just off to the right.

I don't know how I could get this lucky and how I even deserve this. I am literally living every girl's dream.

I never took Dmitri for a romantic, but then again, after this last week, there is so much more to him than meets the eye. He is brooding and serious, his big bulky muscular form and ungodly good looks making him appear aloof and untouchable. But underneath it all, there is a man with a soul that somehow touches mine, and when it does, it's like we are born from the same energy. I love his intellect and knowledge, which I have become familiar with over long talks about philosophy, existentialism, and many other things.

If I had lived for centuries, I, too, would have made it my mission to read every book I could and absorb all the knowledge there is to absorb. The way he valued his pack and the way he spoke about the bond that linked them all made me realize what he has given up for the benefit of the whole. Being hard and being strong had become a necessity. As a leader, hard decisions had to be made, and people lost their lives. It wasn't something I condoned, but I also didn't grow up in this world. At least here, everyone in a pack stood together. Everyone belonged. I envied the family that was here without the need for a blood bond being the reason.

Giving myself a shake and a stern talking to that there was no room for feeling melancholy right now, I look up at the man beside me. He smiles down at me with adoration as he takes my hand and leads me outside to the table. It is gorgeous. There is lace draped from the trees, and beautiful pillows and blankets are placed along the edge of the tree, inviting the observer to lie down and relax. Mmmm, definitely after dinner.

Dmitri pulls a chair out for me. I sit, and he helps me scoot forward before sitting opposite me. He pours us a glass of the already chilled wine, followed by a simple clink of glasses before I sip the crisp liquid.

Movement catches my eye as a man emerges from the sliding doors, my heart leaping in my chest before calming slightly at the sight of the two plates in his hands.

"It's just Levi, Skylar. He came to help me, but he will be leaving after this. I'm sorry. I didn't mean for him to scare you. I should have mentioned it."

"Don't stress, Dmitri," I laugh, "I am just being paranoid."

Levi reaches our table, greeting us before he places the plates in front of us. Whatever it is, it smells divine. Levi leaves us, but not the same way he came, instead heading off into the forest.

Dmitri must sense my confusion. "It's quicker for him to run. He lives just over the ridge on the other side." Dmitri says pointing to an area behind him and to the left.

"I didn't realize how hungry I was until the food came. It smells amazing." My mouth is salivating as I pick up my fork and dig in. It's some sort of vegetarian pasta dish with a creamy sauce. My description definitely not doing it justice as the taste explodes in my mouth. This must be what five-star tastes like.

"Wow, this is delicious. Did you make this?" I ask Dmitri between mouthfuls. He, too, has dug in and nearly chokes on his food when a laugh tries to take part in the process.

"No, definitely not. I wish I could cook like this, but I have to have some flaws, right?" We eat in silence, the evening air and still forest surrounding us, making it feel like we are the only two souls on the planet. I finish, grateful that the portion wasn't big. I didn't like feeling stuffed, and when the food was this good, my polished plate a clear indicator, I sometimes ate just because it was nice, not because I was still hungry.

Dmitri clears our plates, heading inside to discard them. When he comes out, he is no longer wearing his jacket, and he has a plate with strawberries and berries, a dollop of whipped cream on the side—my kind of dessert. 

He stops at the table, one hand holding the plate while the other takes mine.

"Shall we?" He asks, his head nodding toward the beautifully laid-out blanket and pillows.

"Definitely. Oh, wait." I quickly undo the straps of my shoes, kicking them off to the side. He follows suit, his shoes landing in a pile next to mine. He releases my hands, plopping himself down on the blanket, lying on his back, his arm under his head. He puts a pillow beside his head for me as I mimic his position.

"Thank you so much for tonight, Dmitri," I angle myself to see his side profile. "It's a night I will never forget."

"You deserve this and so much more, Skylar." He doesn't look at me as he says this, his eyes focused on the stars in the distance. My gaze joins his as I take in the magnificent view. The stars out here are always so much brighter than in the city.

"How have you enjoyed staying here, Skylar?" My heart rate speeds up. I don't know why this conversation makes me so nervous. I know I can't stay here forever. I have successfully avoided this topic, trying to prolong my stay for as long as possible, knowing that this was probably longer than necessary or decent.

"I have Dmitri. I know I have probably outstayed my welcome a bit," I say quietly. "I will probably return to my house next week, then?" I say this more as a question than a statement. Please say no. Please say no.

"You don't have to if you don't want to, Skylar. You could just...stay here." Dmitri doesn't look at me when he says this. I sense he is nervous. Why, I'm not sure.

I laugh. "I can't just stay here forever, Dmitri. That would be weird, wouldn't it? And what would you say to people when they ask why I'm living here... still?"

"I don't care what people say or think. You know this. And besides, I would tell them you are living here because I love you and I can't be away from you. That even a minute away from you feels like too long."

I sit up slowly, crossing my legs so that I am now fully facing him. "What are you saying, Dmitri?"

He follows suit, sitting up, his legs moving to rest on either side of mine, caging me in as he gazes at me with an intensity that has me blushing. I want to look away, but I don't.

"I'm saying exactly that, Skylar. I love you. I'm in love with you. And I cannot imagine seeing another minute, let alone another decade through, without you by my side. You are already taking up real estate in my heart. Why not just live here." His hand gestures towards his house.

"I want you to be mine forever, Skylar. I don't care if we are fated mates or not. The way I feel for you, I have never felt for anyone, and I have lived a long time. This is a once-in-a-lifetime love for me, and I don't want to walk away from this gift." Almost in slow motion, his hand, which I only realize now has something in it, comes into view, and as he opens the small box, my breathing catches in my throat.

"Will you marry me? It's not tradition amongst wolves to get married, but I want you to realize how serious I am about you." He looks at me as I look from him to the box in his hand. Its contents are a delicate white gold ring with a small green gemstone set in the center. He knows me well enough to know I would never wear anything extravagantly big. This is dainty and unobtrusive—exactly something I would have picked if I was picking something like this for myself.

He grabs my hand, putting the box in my palm.

"You don't have to answer me now, Skylar. There is no pressure. I want you to choose what you want, not what anyone else wants. Be selfish for yourself. And if that doesn't include me in your life like that, I will respect your decision." All of this absolutely dumbfounds me. I knew we were becoming closer, but I had no idea his feelings mirrored mine.

I was in love with him. I loved him. His words are a replica of how I felt about him like they were stolen from my heart.

"I don't need time, Dmitri. I know what I want." There is a pregnant pause before the word leaves my mouth.

"Yes."

Please don't forget to comment and vote!