Chapter 42 - Memories

Skylar

I am sitting on a lounge chair outside on the deck, my eyes lolling closed as I listen to the waves lapping against the shore. I could stay here forever, I think—just me and Dmitri, away from the world, away from reality.

After falling asleep on the bed and waking up feeling refreshed, Dmitri gave me a tour of the rest of the Villa. It is utterly stunning, something you see in a magazine. The open plan lounge, kitchen, and dining room lead out onto the deck that goes all the way around the villa, the awning giving respite from the sun. All the walls are whitewashed, with blue trimmings around the windowpanes and sills. The furniture is simple and rustic, Dmitri's style embedded into everything. The lace curtains blow gently in the wind from the sea, carrying with it the sound of Dmitri's footsteps as he joins me, sitting in the other chair.

He is not relaxing back as I am. Instead, he sits on the side of it with his hands clasped together as he eyes me.

"Raina, Ally, and Benjamin will be here in an hour. Before they come Skylar, we need to discuss what happened the other night."

He looks anxious. "What do you remember from the evening after we returned to the dining hall?"

I blush, remembering what happened that had made us leave the hall, to begin with.

Sitting up, I face him and recount my memory of the events.

"I remember Raina grabbing my wrists and her saying some strange word. My wrists started burning, and then I passed out. That's the last I recall."

"There was a lot more that happened after that, Skylar." He then continues to tell me about the events that unfolded. The way my birthmarks morphed into what they are now. The burst of energy that erupted from my body, destroying the dining hall. My body levitating while engulfed in flames. All of it.

I wondered what had happened to all my jewelry. Even my nose ring was gone when I woke up. According to Dmitri, everything had been burnt away. Luckily, I had spares that were now filling all my holes.

My mind can't seem to comprehend what he is saying and that any of it is real. A thought suddenly dawns on me. Oh my god, had I hurt anyone?

Before I can ask, and as if Dmitri can read my mind, he says, "No one was hurt, Skylar. Some small cuts and abrasions, and lucky for you, the majority of the room was filled with beings who can heal pretty fast."

A wave of relief washes over me.

"I don't understand any of this, Dmitri. My life was pretty normal literally weeks ago, and now, everything is up in the air. Part of me thinks this is a dream. And what Ben said about my parents maybe having been involved with this curse, it feels like my life is a lie. He is like a brother to me, the only person besides my aunt and uncle I trust, and he has deceived me. I mean, he is a fucking werewolf. We grew up together, and I'm only finding this out now. I am used to being alone and doing things for myself, but now it feels like I'm really and truly alone."

By the time I've finished, tears are streaming down my face.

Dmitri, who has been silently watching me, grabs my hands and pulls me forward before bringing me to sit on his lap. His arms wrap around me, keeping me tight against his frame. I rest my cheek on his chest, more tears streaming down my face at this act of affection.

"Skylar, you can trust me. And you are not alone. I am here. I am not going anywhere."

"I'm not your responsibility Dmitri." The sobs rack my body as the words flow out. "I don't want you only helping me because it's part of some duty you have to fulfill."

"It isn't like that, Skylar. What's happening between us is not supposed to be possible, but it's happening."

"What do you mean, Dmitri? What is happening between us," I ask, pulling back to look him in the eyes.

Just as he is about to speak, voices echo through the villa.

"Dmitri!" I hear Raina call from inside.

I get off his lap, wiping my eyes and face, hoping my face isn't all red and puffy.

"We're out here, Raina!" Dmitri calls out loudly enough for her to hear.

He gets up, his hand on the small of my back as we enter the villa through the enormous sliding doors.

Raina, Ally, and Ben are standing in the large area just before the lounge.

Ben's face fills with concern as he takes in my appearance. He has seen me cry many times before and can tell I have been doing just that.

"Are you okay, Sky?" he asks, moving towards me.

"I'm fine," I say, giving him a small smile as he stops just before me.

His eyes flicker to Dmitri, who is giving him a stern look.

"Raina, Ally," Dmitri says, nodding to each of them in turn before gesturing towards the dining table on the other side of the large room.

"So, Sky, how are you feeling?" Raina asks after we have all taken a seat at the table.

Her eyes are piercing, and I feel like she can read every thought I have. It's unnerving.

"The headaches have subsided, thanks to the tea you left for me, Ally," my gaze moving to the slip of a woman sitting to the right of Raina.

Raina, who is easily 5'8" tall, has curly brown hair just below her shoulders and a stern piercing gaze, except when looking at Ally. Ally is my height but very thin, with short, pixie blond hair. Her eyes are compassionate and easier to read than her partners.

"Oh, no problem Sky, we are just happy to see you up and about," she says to me, her hand moving to cover Raina's hand on the table, almost a calming gesture.

"Look, Skylar is tired," Dmitri says crisply, "so let's get to the point. What have you found out, Raina?" 

Please don't forget to comment and vote!