Chapter 35 - The Dance

Dmitri

I've been dancing with Elanor, reluctantly, while keeping my eye on the interaction between Benjamin and Sky at the table, much to Eleanor's annoyance. She could sense my attention was elsewhere, prompting her to plaster herself to my body, her hand snaking into my hair at the back. I hated when she did that, something she knew but chose to ignore. I continue swaying to the music, watching Sky get up from the table to join Benjamin, his hand on her lower back, guiding her in this direction. Anger flares up, and I must stop myself from heading over there and breaking his hand off before feeding it to him.

People start whispering, and men at surrounding tables are eyeing Sky from head to toe. She is fucking stunning, her legs appearing through the slits on either side as she walks. You almost get a glimpse of what's underneath, but not quite. It's provocative. So, I'm not surprised at the lascivious glances, but that does nothing to damper my anger, fueling it instead.

"Mmm, baby, why don't we ditch this party and go somewhere more...private," Elanor purrs into my ear, loud enough to elicit snickers from nearby dancers.

"I'm not in the mood Elanor," I snap, my eyes finally meeting hers.

"What's gotten into you? You're acting needy and clingy. You know I don't tolerate either of those feelings," I say icily. She has a fake smile plastered on her face, and she is looking around discreetly to see if anyone heard.

I can smell Sky close by, and I meet her gaze as Benjamin and her start dancing. I look over at Benjamin, who is staring adoringly down at Sky. What the fuck. I should have known there was more to that story. Which guy hangs around Sky for that many years without falling for her, I think to myself.

My eyes snap back to Elanor.

"What's gotten into you?" she says through gritted teeth, just loud enough for me to hear. "Since that human has entered the scene, you've been acting strange, off towards me. People saw you consoling her the other night in the garden after some incident with Benjamin. And you bought her dresses, Dmitri. You haven't bought me anything, and we have been together for decades. What's going on between the two of you?"

Sky's scent starts fading a bit, and I scan the dance floor in search of her. They have made their way to a more secluded area of the dance floor. As if Sky can sense my eyes on her, she looks over, our eyes meeting.

"I'm just protecting her, Elanor. It's part of my duty as protector of her town. As for the dresses, I couldn't let her embarrass me at such a prestigious event." I look back at Elanor, disbelief written all over her face.

I hated saying the last sentence, knowing I don't really care that much about my reputation. But the need to squash Elanor's curiosity about my relationship with Sky prompted those uncomfortable sentiments. She was irritating me. I couldn't give her answers that I myself didn't have.

My eyes drift over to Sky and Benjamin again, anger jolting through my body as I see him pull Sky closer, his face angled towards hers as if he wants to kiss her.

"I could smell you on her," Elanor hisses quietly.

"Enough," I snap at Elanor, peeling her body off mine, "go back to the table."

We're causing a scene, but my patience has worn thin, and I just don't care. I turn my back on her as I stalk off to the other side of the dance floor, anger permeating my body the closer I get to the couple.

Sky stiffens when she sees me, and her eyes dart behind me, no doubt looking for Elanor.

"Benjamin, I'm cutting in," I state, authority and anger flowing off me in waves. I'm using my Alpha command, Benjamin not able to resist. He says a quiet farewell, leaving.

I pull her roughly to me, surprise etched on her face. My hand finds the spot around her waist, the same place Benjamin's hand was inhabiting just moments before. She shivers as satisfaction at having erased Benjamin's unspoken claim from the area floods me.

No one can touch her like that, I think, a growl sounding in the back of my throat. No one can touch what is mine.

"What's yours?" Sky asks, breaking me out of my thoughts.

"What?" I'm not sure what she is talking about.

"Just now. You growled and then said, mine. What's yours?" Curiosity is etched on her beautiful face.

We are swaying to the music, keeping to this secluded side of the dance floor.

"Nothing," I snap, irritated at not realizing I said that out loud earlier.

"Okay," she says, looking away, "someone's in a mood."

"I'm not in a mood. And what the fuck was that about, with you and Benjamin?" I say more harshly than I intended.

"We were just dancing...you know, like you and Elanor were," she trails off, avoiding my gaze.

"It was nothing like me and Elanor," I grate out. "He looked like he was about to kiss you, Skylar."

"And she looked like she was about to fuck you on the dance floor, Dmitri," she snaps back at me, her gaze filled with anger. She is jealous, I realize, almost happy at the thought.

"So, you just go around kissing anyone, then? It means nothing to you?"

"Don't put words in my mouth, Dmitri. That's not what I said. What does it matter to you anyway who I kiss?"

"So, you want to kiss that douchebag Benjamin," I gesture angrily.

"He is not a douchbag, Dmitri, and no, Ben is not the man I want to kiss," she says exasperatedly.

"Then who, Skylar? Who do you want to kiss?" I ask, unable to let this go. She breaks eye contact as she quietly says, "Someone who doesn't kiss, who doesn't want to be kissed."

With both hands on her waist, I easily lift her, her feet not touching the ground, as I bring her face in line with mine. Thankfully the area we are in is quite dark, with only a few couples behind us.

"Look at me," I order, anger still filling me at the thought of someone else kissing her. Her gaze finally meets mine. 

"That person better be me," I growl out before slamming my lips into hers, anger fueling the roughness of the kiss.

Tingles immediately erupt where our lips meet, and as her lips part, I'm hit with the taste of her. It's like a drug. She wraps her legs around my waist as I move towards a door on the side I noticed earlier. I can hear gasps and whispers behind us, luckily not loud enough for her ears to register.

I break our kiss as we reach the door, pushing it open before stepping through. It clicks shut behind us. We are in a dark corridor at the back of the dining hall. There is another door on the opposite side which I push open and enter. I hit the light switch. Thanks to one of the long fluorescent lightbulbs being out, the room is only dimly lit by the remaining one. It's a storage area, some shelves stacked with boxes and unused furniture.

I move forward to a high round table, an idea forming in my mind. I release Sky so she sits on it, her legs parted by my frame standing between them. The slits from her dress leave only a thin fabric in the middle, covering her from view. I can smell her arousal, and my dick is straining against my expensive suit, begging to come out and play.

Her face is flushed and embarrassed, but she is leaning back on her hands, the fabric of the v-neck of her dress straining against her breasts as they are pushed forward. I lean forward, grabbing her and pulling her against me as I once again claim her lips. She is tentative at first, but I can feel when her mind stops overthinking as she relaxes into exploring my mouth. I suck on her bottom lip, eliciting a moan from her. My hand finds her breast, and I squeeze hard, her head falling back in pleasure. It's like watching a flower unfurl. There is an intensity to everything she feels, her face projecting the passion she experiences inside.

I lean forward and whisper in her ear, "I want to taste you."

Please don't forget to comment and vote!