Chapter 71 - Danger

Dmitri

We are in my kitchen, a comfortable silence having crept into most of the spaces between us. The awkwardness we felt when Sky arrived yesterday has faded. After Raina and Ally left, I decided it would be easier to protect Sky if she was on pack lands. We discussed it, and considering the hooded figure knew where she lived and he was wielding some pretty powerful black magic, Sky agreed with much less argument than I anticipated.

She packed a bag, and we left, arriving here late last night. Even though my house had five other empty rooms, I dropped Sky's bag in mine. I had no intention of letting her out of my sight. I saw the surprise on her face when my answer to her question about where I would be sleeping was 'Here.' But that surprise was followed by a small smile before she started unpacking her clothes in the empty space I made for her in the walk-in closet.

I liked having her in my house. I knew it was creating a stir in the pack, but Ivan reassured me that everyone was just happy that I was working less and seemed to be in a better space. It had only been a couple of days, but that was all that was needed for my improved emotions to permeate the pack. Even after decades of being an Alpha, how perceptive and strong pack links were still surprised me.

They were excited to meet her. Savannah's intrusion into my life had marred the previous interaction. I had no intention of letting anyone get in the way of this again. My feelings for Sky were stronger than ever. To be honest, they had never really faded. I wanted them to at the time, but seeing her again and being with her reignited everything. I felt alive again.

She had just finished chopping tomatoes for our pizzas when I got an urgent mind-link from Ivan. We only used this form of communication when it was absolutely necessary. It's intrusive, entering someone's thoughts, so in my pack, it is only used when essential, not as the norm and more so amongst Kira, Ivan, and myself.

"Hunters have been spotted at the Northern border. They haven't crossed onto pack lands yet. They seem to be waiting on the outskirts. At least thirty. They are likely packing silver, so we must be careful." Ivan's usual carefree tone is nowhere to be found.

"Call Jacobson and tell him to be on standby. It's about time he pays us back for all the assistance he has received from us in the past. Also, ready a small team of about ten of our best men and have them meet me about fifty meters East from where they were spotted. We will flank them outside the border and try to keep this fight off pack lands. Tell everyone to remain indoors and have extra men posted here in my absence."

While this mental conversation is happening, Sky must have been calling me, my lack of response resulting in her putting her hand on my forearm to get my attention.

"Is everything okay, Dmitri?" She looks really concerned, my face probably displaying my anxiety at a situation she is unaware of.

"I need to leave. Hunters have been seen on the outskirts of the pack borders. It's nothing to worry about, but I need to go and sort it out. I have extra security here, just in case. So, if you need anything, just ask them." I try to make light of the situation, smiling at her as I approach the front door. "I'll be back, but don't wait for me. Finish baking the pizzas and relax with a movie or something. Just don't worry."

"Okay... are you sure everything is okay?" She isn't completely sold on me minimizing this situation, but I have to go.

"It's nothing, really." I pull her in for a hug before I let go of her and leave. The guards I requested are already posted outside. I instruct them to tell me immediately if there is an issue.

Using my Lycan speed, I find myself minutes later standing with ten of my best warriors in the meeting spot I mentioned to Ivan earlier. I am not surprised to see Kira amongst these ten. She is the best warrior we have, apart from myself.

"Kira," I say in greeting. She nods her head in acknowledgment. Kira had already been prepped with my plan by Ivan. She had plotted out the best route to give us maximum cover. The goal was to catch them unaware by flanking from the other side and, if possible, pick them off individually to thin their numbers.

As part of the training my men received, they were injected with small amounts of silver. It was willingly done, the men understanding the need to try and reach some sort of immunity should we be in this situation. Silver was a weakness that we were trying to minimize. While it wasn't one hundred percent effective, we could tolerate lacerations from a silver blade with less fatality than before the injections.

I had been injecting myself with silver for years, since before the battle where I received the scar that adorns my jaw and neck. It was partly why I survived and because I am an Alpha Lycan. I wasn't sure where I stood now regarding silver's impact on me. It wasn't exactly something I tested to see just how much damage I could withstand. But I assumed it must be working as initially, the injections made me sick and weak for days. Now they barely caused a sweat, even with dosage increases.

We silently follow Kira through the brush, some using the trees for cover and surveillance while others stealthily move below. As big as werewolves and Lycans are, we can traverse the forest as silently as an ant. We would turn into our animal sides only when needed, during combat.

Once we have made our way off pack territory and past the group's last known location, we swing back around to approach the rear of the group, who are hopefully expecting resistance from the other side only. Ivan is poised just inside the pack line with forty of our finest waiting for my signal.

As they come into view, my intuition tells me something is wrong with this situation. Why haven't they attacked yet? What are they waiting for?

Before I can ponder this further, all hell breaks loose. The Hunters draw first blood, one of them spotting one of my men approaching from the right. I signal Ivan and my men, who leap into action. Some allow their werewolf forms to take over, many Hunters standing no chance against not only the brute force but the skill of my fighters. Kira trains them ruthlessly, a trait that can be seen in how they dispose of the Hunters before us. I take a couple down, slices from their silver blades doing nothing to slow me down. It's a bloodbath and way too easy.

I still can't help the niggling feeling that this doesn't feel right.

As Ivan finishes the last Hunter off, my feeling is realized when we receive an urgent message from Alios, one of the men on the security team. Hunters have been spotted in pack territory, close to my house. I attempt to mind-link the guards I posted outside my house. Futile, as all I am met with is silence. Kira and Ivan, who have been included in the communication, don't need my instruction. They shift, both taking off in the direction of my house.

I allow my Lycan to consume me, the speed afforded to me allowing me to travel three times faster than usual. I overtake Ivan and Kira, fear and anger spurring me on. This was a distraction. And I was too fucking stupid to realize it. I just hoped I got to Sky in time. I thought they had lost interest in her, but clearly, I was mistaken.

Hold on, Sky, I'm coming.

Please don't forget to comment and vote!