Hawk's Dad

Hey everyone! So in this one shot, Hawk's dad is in the military and has been gone for several years now, and they've only seen him once or twice since he left. I don't know much about the military, so I apologize if I get some things wrong. Enjoy!

---

Blood. Bullets. Exploding shells. Fire. Destruction. Death. Hawk's dad screamed in pain as his leg was torn off, and the life in his eyes faded as he bled out, a pool of the stuff forming beneath him. But that wasn't where it ended, no. 

Hawk looked down and saw himself dressed in a military uniform, holding a gun. His heart raced, his ears rang from the explosions happening all around him. He couldn't see the enemy. He couldn't tell where the bullets were coming from. 

A fire raged around him, shells screamed from above as they collided with the earth. And suddenly there was shouting coming from the shadows, and bullets tore into his body. Hawk fell with a scream. His body laid next to what remained of his father's. 

---

Hawk shot awake, a scream building at the base of his throat. Sweat dripped from his temple, making it's way to the base of his head. Salty tears threatened to spill. Hawk took a moment to gather his senses. Furiously, he swiped away at his eyes, wiping away the tears. 

Hawk went through his morning routine, getting ready for school. He walked out into the living room and saw his mother watching the news. They were talking about something the military was doing. Or rather, what they weren't doing. 

" I miss him," Hawk murmured. His mother sighed heavily. 

" So do I baby. So do I," she nodded. 

---

Throughout the rest of the week, Hawk was distracted. In school, at the dojo, at home. All he could think about was his dad. People had asked him about it several times, but he said nothing. It wasn't as if he wasn't proud of his dad and what he was doing, he just didn't want to worry anyone. Least of all Demetri. 

---

A soldier walked into his Colonel's tent. Nervous.

" Sir," the soldier saluted, addressing his commanding officer. The Colonel returned the salute and sat back down on his chair. 

" What is it, son?" He asked. The soldier took a deep breath. God he shouldn't ask this. He did it anyway. He wanted to see his family. 

" I'd like to take a few weeks off to go see my family, sir," the soldier explained quickly. He tensed up, expecting to get chewed out for requesting such a thing. Or at least some sort of anger. 

" Alright Moskowitz. I can let you go for two weeks. We're not expecting any action for a while, so I can let a few of you go," the Colonel said. Moskowitz's jaw dropped. Quickly, he gathered himself up again, saluting. 

" Thank you very much sir." The Colonel nodded. The soldier turned on his heel and exited, and as soon as he was out of sight and earshot, he let out a whoop and jumped high in the air. The others saw and laughed. Moskowitz was always doing something funny or stupid. 

---

A little boy, no more than five, ran around a green yard, pretending a fly a plane. He made silly sounds from his mouth as he ran. He twisted and turned, avoiding enemy fire. But the enemy caught him!

" Rrwaagghhh!! I got you little birdie!" The boy's father roared as he hoisted the boy up, plane still in hand. The boy shrieked in surprise and began laughing. The father spun him around as he giggled, laughing along with his son.