Well Damn

Hanging up the phone after my conversation with Admiral Bates from Top Gun, I shrug to myself while sighing. Might as well work on some planes while I'm here. So much for a vacation, though.

I'd been called to be the head AT for a top secret mission at Top Gun. They say they're recruiting the best of the best pilots and WSOs. So, I am delighted when I get a call from Bob.

"Guess who's the AT for your Top Gun mission?" I say immediately. I hear him laugh loudly.

"No, shit, Wires. How'd you know?" He says.

"I just got the call and I'm assuming you did too?" I tell him.

"Yes ma'am. I'll be staying on base. Are you just gonna stay at your grandma's?" I confirm his guess with a hum as I take a bite of the food I'd brought with me.

"She didn't pay off the mortgage for nothin." I say with my mouth full.
We stay on the phone for a while before I have a thought.

"Wanna meet up before the mission starts?" I ask, hearing him rustle around, probably with suitcases from the sound of small rolling wheels.

"Duh. Tomorrow? The Hard Deck?" He  asks.

"Yep." I say. We hang up, and I get to unpacking.

I text my dad about being called to work at Top Gun, and he shares my dismay of no longer being on vacation.

"We're about to test Mach 9 tonight." He says cryptically, and I notice that something isn't right.

"What's going on? Is it the plane?" He sighs over the phone

"Cain. He's shutting us down if I don't test mach 10 today." I sit in silence for a moment.

"So test mach 10."I say simply, although it's not.

"What? But our plane isn't-"

"Yeah I know." I cut him off. It'll probably be never fly again.

"Just don't die in the process ok?" I say.

"Alright, sweetie." He says, unsure.
"You'll know what will happen if you don't." I finish the conversation saying I love him, before trying to sleep.