Crash

I was briefed along with my father about the new deadline for the mission, and I can't help but worry even more. Such little time to prepare, and no one is near ready yet. I can't help but think what would happen if any of these pilots got hurt.

Namely, my Bradley. My thoughts about the possible outcomes of this mission are debated while I work on all of the planes, mostly just getting them ready for take-off, as there have been few problems with the planes themselves. Some of the pilots walk to their planes and I make sure to linger near Bradley's when it's his turn.

"Target practice, darlin." He says as he approaches.

"Good luck, Rooster." He stops walking suddenly and looks at me with a fake pout. I sigh.

"Do I have to?" I ask. He looks at me in mock hurt.

"Not with that attitude, missy." He gets up into his plane as I step back.

"You got this, ya big stud!" I yell over the engine, knowing the stares were worth his million dollar smile. I spend the rest of the day checking the planes until the last group of the day goes. Phoenix and Bob, and Coyote. My father has me prep his plane too.

After they all take off, I walk to the break room that has the radio connected to the planes, seeing everyone sitting around it with tired eyes. I greet the group as I walk in, getting tired replies.

"Don't worry, you'll go home after they're done." I say to everyone as I sit next to Bradley, who leans on me with his eyes closed.

"You can't sleep now." I tease him as we listen to them over the radio. He stay where he is. Suddenly, we hear panicked voices shouting at Coyote. We all realize quickly that he went into G lock.

We gather around the radio as we hear everyone screaming and panicking over the radio. I look at Hangman, his best friend, and he's looking at the radio, frantic but frozen. I hold onto Bradley with tears in my eyes and he holds me to his side, gripping onto my waist.

We hear Coyote gasp, but nothing until my dad asks if he alright, to which he responds, and we sigh in relief. I look at Hangman again and pat his shoulder in comfort, and he just nods to say he's okay.

A minute passes, and there's another wave of panic as Maverick announces a bird strike. We all tense up again as we hear my best friend's frantic voice report the left engine on fire. Then the right. Then the left again.

"No no no." I whisper, crying. Everyone in the room is screaming at the radio, dispite not actually being able to communicate through it.

"EJECT! EJECT! EJECT!" Maverick yells. Bradley put his head in his hands as Maverick reports seeing their parachutes, giving the rescue team their location. The admirals for our mission enter the room, telling us to either go home or wait for them at the hospital wing.

We all move to go to the hospital wing, but Bradley stays back. I look at him in question as he lets go of his previous hold on me.

"I-I can't. I-" I cut him off by hugging him. I nod.

"They're gonna be okay, Roo." I assure him.

"I'll stay with y-" I start to say.

"No. Bob is your best friend. You go make sure he's okay. I'll wait here. Come back when you check on him and Natasha." He says. We're still hugging, and I hear his heart speed up at thought of them being hurt. I nod slowly, moving away from him.