The Hard Deck

Then next day, I know my damn plane is gone. She will be missed, but I know my dad loved her till her last moments. I shoot my head up after washing my face in the sink, cringing at my thoughts.

It's a plane, not a person.

I shake my head at myself and get ready for The Hard Deck. (Outfit above) I put on my white converse, the high tops securing the bottom of my skinny jeans, keeping them from riding up. I do a little make up, and head out to my red jeep. I make it to the already packed place, immediately starting to look for Bob, but seeing my father in the flesh sulking at the bar.
I catch his eye, shocked. I go to walk towards him when he makes a no motion with his head. I stop with my hands up, a confused expression on my face. He motions to the atmosphere and mouths, I'll talk to you later. I sigh and walk away from his direction, puzzled.

I see the top of Bob's head as I make my way deeper into the place, spotting a bunch of people with his same uniform on. As I walk towards them, I catch some of the groups attention. Namely, the blonde cocky dude with the smug smirk, probably
thinking I'm going over to him.

"Bob." I say. And the guys face drops, the girl with a cue in her hand snickers. I make my way around a seemingly random person, who is also with the group. Bobs head shoots to me. He stands and brings me into a cheerful hug.

"Wires as I live and breathe." He says. I laugh loudly.

"Don't start." I say as he introduces me to the group.

"This is Aria." He says and I wave.

"Is Wires your callsign? Did you decide to ditch the dress code like Rooster?" The same girl asks me. I try not to react at her naming the one person I was scared as shit to meet:
My father's godson, who had no idea who I was. I look at him to see him already gazing at me.

Oh, he is handsome handsome. My golly. I'll admit shamefully, I didn't even think of him when I heard the best of the best. Of course, I'd known he was, but I just didn't make the connection. I regain my composure as I shake my head.

"Wires is my nickname. I'm an Aircraft Technician, dedicated to making sure your aircrafts are ready for takeoff." I say.

"Wow, impressive intro." One of the other pilots says. Payback, I learn, and they all introduce themselves to me.

"So is this a warning not to get on your bad side?" Rooster asks, walking close to where I stand as he bends down, getting his cue ready. Phoenix and I make eye contact and she moves her brows suggestively and I glare at her jokingly.

I'm taken aback by the question, getting the joke but feeling weird anyways.

"Unprofessionally, yes." I glare at Hangman's wandering eyes as the group chuckles at him. Bradley notices too, smirking a little to himself.

"Professionally, I'd never jeopardize a pilots life in any way, shape or form." I say, and the group around the table look at me in silent respect.

"That's good." Bradley says, standing up straight after shooting the cue, now right in front of me, looking down into my eyes with his own serious look. We stay there for a minute and everyone exchanges glances, some smiling and some frowning.

"Unplug the jukebox, will ya, darlin?" He asks me. I raise my eyebrows at his boldness. What was I so afraid of?

"Sure, Rooster." I whisper, and go to do so, then following him to the piano. Suddenly, a bell is rung.