Anger

Bradley comes back for push ups after the day is done. I finish checking the planes in time to see Hondo try to get Bradley to stop doing push-ups, but he won't. He gives up and leaves him to it. I go to him, sitting in front of him. He sits with me after a second.

"Please, I don't need a lectur-"

"Im not gonna. Im just here for comfort." I assure. There's a bit of silence until he speaks up.

"Mav pulled my papers out of the naval academy. Set me back four years." He explains simply. I freeze. My father definitely left that out.

"I had no idea. That's why you were mad at first?" I ask. He nods
Why would he do that?" I ask. He shrugs, feeling angry at himself for letting it dictate his flying today.

"You could use some cheering up, big boy. Come to my place tonight. It'll be our first date. Wear something really comfortable." I tell him as soon get up.

"I think you'll find out soon enough that I'm big in-"

"Don't you dare finish that sentence on my tarmac, Bradley." I say as I walk away, hearing his chuckle echo behind me.

As I leave, I see my father walking and I yell to him.

"Pulling his papers?! Really?! What the hell were you thinking dad?! Why did you-" he shuts me up with his hand covering my mouth.

"Listen, let me explain." I know enough about my dad to know he wouldn't have done it if he felt like he had another choice.

"You didn't want him to fly? Is that your excuse?" I say incredulously.

"No, I- I promised his mom. She didn't want him to fly not after Goose." I know that's not all, but he doesn't explain further. I nod slowly.

"You're not gonna a tell him." I state, it's not a question.

"I'm not letting him hate his mom, too." He says. I nod, deep in thought.

"Don't come over tonight for dinner, okay?" I say. He puts his head down and nods. I walk away and change from my uniform into grey sweatpants and a tight long sleeve black bodysuit. I keep my shoes off and stay in my socks as I drive from the base to my house.

When I get there, Bradley's jeep is already parked out front, and he's sitting on the porch in black sweatpants and a black t shirt. I smile at him as I approach, leaving most of my stuff in my car.

"Hey, Bradley." I say as he gets up and follows me inside. He takes his shoes off and I lead him to the kitchen.

"I actually tricked you here to make me dinner." I joke. He laughs.

"I would be happy with being tricked into your bed." He teases. I blush when he winks at me.

"We're gonna make it together." I say with a big smile. He doesn't say anything but stares at me. I start to deflate. Is this a bad idea? Did I misread our connection? He sees my smile fade and his expression finally changes to a happy one.

"I love it. It's perfect." He assures as he walks towards me with a smile on his face. He backs me into the counter a am I try to ignore his predatory gaze. He leans down and puts his head in my neck.

"At 10, everyone wants to meet at The Hard Deck." He says, moving away and I nod, putting on some music. My 70s and 80s music plays through the speakers in the kitchen as we start on making Chicken Alfredo. We both sway to the music when we cross paths either to the fridge or pantry. I sneak glances at him, and even have the courage to stare and let him notice.

"Like what you see, darlin?" He looks at me and winks. Boldly, I nod happily.

"Yup." I say. He laughs at my blunt response and lets the noodles he had just poured sit for a minute. He walks toward me and grabs my waist, moving me along with the song
Can't Smile Without You. I stare into his eyes as he gets closer, looking in between my eyes and my lips.