To Be Together

Miss Murdock. He did it again, that prick did it again, causing my heart to clench.

"Fuck you too, Rafeial." I let out between my cries, not removing my hands from my face to look at him.

"Why so, Miss Murdock?" With each word, he sounded closer but I dare not look at him.

The warmth of his hands spread around my wrists as he gripped them, peeling my hands away from my face as he kneeled to watch my figure. My stubborn self dropped my head, shaking it from side to side as if my denial of the reality that was about to come would cause it to change.

"Look at me," with one hand he gripped both my wrists, pinning them down in my lap, the fingers of the other firmly gripping my chin, forcing my teary-eyed gaze to look at him, "I was coming to you, you know. I thought you'd be happy to see me." His thumb brushed against my cheek, wiping away the tear but that didn't help much as a new drop trailed down to his thumb.

I couldn't help a laugh, the lack of humour was evident, "happy to see you when you're here for a goodbye," I sniffled, "you were looking for me to tell me it's done, finish, the end of our story together, Rafeial." My stare dropped to the exposed area of his chest peeking through the unbuttoned top of his dress shirt, the sleeves of which were rolled up to expose his flexed forearms.

"Well," he stood up, dropping my hands from his grasp before he crouched down and lifted me with him as he stood to his full length. His arm snaked around my waist to keep me close, keep me standing whilst his other hand laced its fingers into my hair, applying pressure ever so slightly and tilting it up to make him the centre of my attention, "I came looking for you with no intentions of an end."

The sincerity burning behind the coffee eyes incited a sharp breath in. Who knew something so simple would look so magnificently beautiful? Those simple brown eyes. Those boring dark brown hair. So simple yet so breathtaking.

His head dropped to my ear, the tip of his nose lightly tracing my skin as his lips brushed my ear, "I need you to breathe, in and out, Miss Murdock," his low whisper directed me, inhale and exhale, Aulora, I calmed myself.

"I had a beginning in mind," his fingers once again wiped away the tears slowly, "one which begins with you and me, together."

At his words, all the painful thoughts that occupied my mind jumped out, and a new hope emerged with a little scepticism, "It can't be that easy." It surely can't be.

"It can be if we make it."

"What caused the sudden change of heart?" The waterworks stopped as I questioned him, itching to know what was going on in his mind, to know what clicked.

"Your words," his face fell into the crook of my neck, his lips tracing my vulnerability before planting a kiss, "you, all of you." My legs gave away under me and if it wasn't for his arm around me, I would've dropped dead on the floor beneath my feet.

My eyes fluttered shut as his soft kisses traced their way up my neck and to the corner of my mouth, "why deprive myself of the piece of heaven I have, the pleasure to always look forward to," his hot breath fanned against my skin and his stubble lightly brushed against me, kissing away my tears and causing shivers to run down my spine, "besides I was also thinking about the Royals, and what do you know, they're the least of my concern," his grip on me tightened as if asserting his claim, his face pulling away prompting me to open my eyes and find him already staring deep into my soul, "with you, Miss Murdock, the past is not my burden, nor the future my concern. It's just this," he sighed, his tone fully content, "the present moment and here you are."

My fingers knotted themselves in his hair, needing him impossibly close, "or maybe I'm just a very selfish man." His husky murmur against my skin was my undoing.