Parting Ways

My legs were threatening to give up under me upon hearing his words. A sharp pang tugged at the core of my heart, "it can't be true," the denial in my whimper was evident, "he is just playing with my mind."

Persephone caught my whispers and cleared my doubts, "I anonymously reached out to your previous pack, " her hand rubbing my shoulder aimed to provide some calm, "they confirmed Mila missing for the past two days, " I could sense her hesitation as she continued, "they said Mila ran off to find you after hearing about Silas' offer."

This was it, the point where I shattered completely. I truly did not know whether to be angry and storm off or to curl up in a corner and cry until my heart felt at ease, "I-" I could barely recognise the broken voice that left past my lips but I struggled again, "I would like some time alone please."

Just as I said those words, I made my move to get away to the comfort of my temporary room and if it wasn't for the warm hand grasping my wrist, I would've gone through with it.

"Persephone help Mikael get cleaned up and then join the others with Weston." Rafeial did not leave any room for objections, causing the two to walk out of the room immediately and leaving the two of us isolated once again.

I didn't even look at him as I repeated, tugging my hand from his grip, "I said alone, Rafeial." I felt my will crumbling down deliberately and I didn't want Rafeial to be there when it finally collapsed.

"I am not leaving you to yourself, " Rafeial pressed but his voice was soft, caressing my being, "look at me." I refused to do so. I did not want him to see the tears that were so close to falling.

After it was clear I wasn't going to do as he asked he took a hold of my free hand, forcing me to turn to him and meet his eyes, "tell me, " his low murmur tried to soothe my restless and broken self as one of his hands held the both of mine whilst the fingers of the other tucked the piece of stray hair behind my ear, "what will you do now?"

"What is there left to do now, Rafeial?" I laughed humourlessly, "I will go to him, just as he wants."

I felt his grip tighten around my hands as his thumb rubbed slow circles on my cheek, "I will follow you."

"No," I tried to get away from him but my attempt went in vain, "no you won't. None of you will."

"Who the fuck is going to stop me?" His voice was low but dripping with authority.

"Why are you not getting it, Rafeial, this is all because of me," my voice broke at the end, a gulp forming in my throat making it a challenge for me to perform the simple task of breathing, "all of this. If I just died that night as Silas wanted, none-"

"But you didn't, you're still here, " he interrupted, "so instead of thinking about that, tell me what is your next move."

"I told you already, Rafeial!" I was getting aggravated by him by every passing moment, "I will go alone and surrender myself. Simple as that."

"So you're giving up that easy then?"

"Think of it as you want, Rafeial, but the thing I'm sure of is that none of you will follow me."

"Why do you want that?"

"I think people have suffered enough because of me, " a sole tear escaped, sliding down my cheek and wetting Rafeial's thumb, "and now Silas has Mila in, God knows, what condition. I do not want anyone else to die from Silas' hand."

"Miss Murdock, my brothers and I already have our death sentences laid out, you do not need to worry about our lives ending because we chose to come with you, " he wiped away the evidence of my tears, "and besides, some of us will make it out alive, some won't."