Questions

"You lied to me," I declared in disbelief as I saw Persephone inside her vehicle waiting for us alongside Azrael in the passenger seat, "you said they already left!"

"I did not lie, I only manipulated the truth, Miss Murdock, " he smirked from beside me whilst opening the passenger door for me. I only could give him the stink eye and rather resisted an argument as I sat down in his car. His musky aroma engulfed me from all directions and I knew he used this car on a regular basis.

He closed my door behind me and strolled to the other side, sitting in, "ready, Miss Murdock?" He asked as he fastened his own seatbelt. I only nodded my head and that was all he needed to step onto the accelerator pedal. I glanced into the rearview mirror which reflected the headlights of the car following us with Mikael behind the wheel.

My questions were dying to get past my mouth but I feared that if a single wrong word fell upon Rafeial's ears, my chance of getting my answers would slip from my fingers.

I tried to calm the erratic beating of my heart as I took in the gloaming surroundings, slightly brightened by the headlights, showing me the lone road stretched out as far as the eyes could see with dense wilderness on both sides.

Observing anything but Rafeial was not helping my nerves at all and as a result, I unconsciously started biting my lower lip. 

"Miss Murdock, I expected you to ask all your questions as soon as we started driving." From the corner of my eye, I saw him gazing intently at me.

"I'm patient, " lies, "from what I'm speculating, this ride is going to be a long one and I have time." I faced him, his eyes fixed on the road with his right hand on the steering wheel and his left hand on the gear shift.

"But I might not be in the mood to answer them late on." There was a smirk present but I knew he was serious.

"You can't do that."

"Yes, I can." I did not want to try him because I knew that he was not a man who joked.

"What's your name?" I wanted to start off slow. I shifted my whole body in his direction and rested my back against the door.

"Rafeial Slade. Yourself?"

"Aulora Murdock." His eyes found mine, "I thought only I would be the one asking questions."

"I never said anything about not asking questions myself." His answer was bland.

"Fair enough, " I nodded in understanding as I continued, "How old are you?"

"I might have met your great-great-grandfather."

With my eyebrows furrowed, I refused to accept that as an answer, "you're telling me you're two hundred years old? Oh please, " I scoffed and rolled my eyes at him. He seemed to be in his mid-thirties at the most.

"Add three seventy-nine to that and you have your answer, Miss Murdock."

"Five hundred and seventy-nine years? Fuck off." I laughed it off.

"I told you the truth. Now it's up to you to believe it or not." He was serious, I could tell.

"You're not taking the piss?"As he shook his head, I was beyond stunned. I knew werewolves stayed young longer than humans and lived a lot longer than them but over five hundred was impossible.

This brought a dreadful question to my mind, "you're not a werewolf?"

When his rough voice responded, I almost jumped out of the car, "no." I never thought the word 'no' would hold so much horror to it.

"What are you?" No matter how hard I tried, I could not cover up the trembling in my voice.

Here I was, alone in a car with an unknown creature and the possibilities of my demise was getting higher.

I let my mind ponder over it and nearly choked on my own spit as a thought passed my mind. Azrael, Mikael and Kaius were his brothers which meant they aren't werewolves either. That might explain why Azrael, so effortlessly, dominated Brutal Banes.

"A lycan."

"Fuck off!" My voice was louder than expected, "You're a Pureblood? Weren't all Purebloods executed after the death of Atarah?"

"My father did a good job of protecting us." He didn't look at me as he answered, his hands in a tight grip on the steering wheel.

I was still gawking at him as I tried to wrap my mind around it. It was no secret that lycans did exist centuries ago but after her death, everything changed.

Atarah was a normal woman with no parents and a brother living a normal life. It was said that she had been tricked into the dark forest where a witch cursed her for entering her territory; the curse of being a lycan. She was the first, the strongest.

I remember hearing the story from Mila when we were young, who admired Atarah for building a kingdom after being exiled from her town for being a monster. Even Atarah's own brother voted for her exile.

But she didn't let that be her downfall. She prospered, turned people who were willing and reached the top of the world. She was the Queen of her kingdom, Queen of the Lycans. Of course, there were people who wanted her dead for multiple reasons, but none of them succeeded in doing so. She was the strongest creature with strong allies, vampires and mages.

She faced many wars, numerous aches of losing her people, her allies but Atarah remained strong for the sake of her kind. That was up until her brother stabbed her in the back. So much for being family.

Turns out her brother, Alois, made a deal with some wizard to stop Atarah, to kill her. The wizard was not a powerful one but he managed to give Alois the ability to turn into a wolf, thus the birth of a werewolf.

A werewolf is much weaker than a lycan but Alois used his relation of being her brother to get close enough. He also turned many into werewolves but he was not kind like his sister, he forcefully turned many into werewolves and compelled them to join his army and not long after that, he killed her.

After her death, he gathered the help of the hunters and hunted her kind. He executed many vampires, all mages and the entirety of Atarah's kind, all the lycans wiped off.

And that's why vampires and werewolves are enemies, because of Alois.

At the moment, the strongest ones were the Royals, who were the descendants of Alois but the longer I focused on Rafeial's being, the more I figured him and his brothers being superior.

"And no one knows?" I asked after a long moment of silence.

"Wouldn't life be easier if no one did, " he chuckled humourlessly to himself, "The 'Royals' know, Silas and Lila are aware too." He spat the word 'Royals' with such venom, his hands in a tight grip which coloured his knuckles white. Staring at his angered state, I refused to question him further on this topic. Maybe some other time.

I looked away from him and concentrated straight ahead where the colours of dawn we're starting to taint the horizon. I tried to change the topic, "why did you want me to accompany you?" I couldn't stop myself from looking back at him.

Rafeial's hard eyes left the road and glanced over at me. His dark eyes held a deep emotion, his face hard as he answered, "I think that's enough questions for one day, Miss Murdock."

***

Hi, my loves. Sorry for the late update. I started college and barely get any time to write but I'll try my best to start updating regularly.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy the chapter.

Yours Truly;
J. N. Light.