The Brothers

I barely remember walking into the dimly lit room, more like carried into the room, as they very cautiously laid my aching body down on the soft mattress of the bed, my head resting on a feathery pillow.

My breathing was near nonexistent as my drooping eyes caught the glimpse of them rushing around me, speaking as softly as they could. My head turned back upwards as my eyes focused into the burgundy ceiling and I tried to relax. I wasn't sure when but somewhere in between the calm commotion, my eyes rolled to the back of my head as I drifted into the darkness.

•••

(Third Person P.O.V.)

Azrael's light footsteps followed him as he walked over his brother and went to shut the door to the room and locking it behind him to make sure no one could disturb them.

"Azra, you're making a mistake." Rafeial voiced his thoughts as he still stayed put in the same position Persephone had left him in.

"I made a mistake when I assumed it would be better to take Aulora to Rafe first than the others." Azrael stopped over him as he crossed his arms over his chest, looking down at him.

"Is it that you trust her more than my judgement?"

Azrael could only smile to his question as he lightly shook his before lowering himself down to his level, "I'm not implying that," he reached for his hand, grasping it tight before standing up, getting him up straight as well, "I'm only saying that this time, your judgement may be false." He patted Rafeial's shoulder twice before walking to the chair near the window.

"In other words, you trust her more than my judgment," Rafeial repeated blankly, highly unamused by his doings as he dusted off his suit jacket before walking over to where his brother sat.

Azrael knew his brother was deadset on that misunderstanding as he joked, "Maybe I do. After all, you almost shot me before Aulora jumped in, literally." A chuckle escaped past his lips before placing a cigarette between them and lighting it up. He motioned for Rafeial to come to sit on the chair opposite to him.

"I was aiming for your leg. It would've been a mild injury," he undid his jacket button before taking a seat opposite to Azrael, "and you deserved that."

Azrael puffed out the cigarette smoke as he let out a laugh, "mild injury? Rafe with your custom bullets, I wouldn't have been able to walk for at least a week." He offered Rafeial a cigarette which he gladly took, placing it between his teeth before leaning forward over the small table between them as Azrael lit up his cigarette.

"Azrael, let's come to the point, " Rafeial was quick to steer the atmosphere back to serious with his gruff voice, "you know we can't let her live. She's Silas' mate and with her death, we can get closer to our motive." He loosened the tie around his neck and passed it over his head, removing it and throwing it on the table between them as he eased back into his chair, crossing one leg over the other and undoing the collar button of his dress shirt.

"Well, her death won't matter to Silas," Azrael clarified.

"What?" Rafeial grumbled, his voice a little muffled with the cigarette between his teeth as he pulled out a handkerchief from the inside pocket of his suit jacket, "She's his mate, of course it would weaken him and give us the opportunity to get to him and his majors." The cigarette rested between the fingers of his left hand as his right hand wiped away the evidence of his leaked essence from his cheeks, staining the handkerchief.

"She's not his mate."

"Yes, and I haven't hurt a single soul." Rafeial threw back at him.

"Rafe, I'm serious." He was starting to get annoyed by his older brother.

"And I'm not lying when I say that, Serious." He grinned.

Azrael cringed at his stupid joke, "Rafe, he rejected her officially, and he was about kill her himself."

"Come again." Rafeial seemed to have turned stiff at the information, watching the plans he spent years on go down the drain.

"Persephone and I were there to kill her too, but when I entered Silas' territory, I saw them preparing for some big 'event' and I thought it would be perfect to kill Aulora and look for any new prisoners and set them free, " Azrael told his brother everything, "and there she was, in the cell opposite to Pete-"

"Fucking Pete?" Rafeial interrupted.

"Yeah, our fucker. He should've been awarded an Oscar for setting up a performance like that. He pretended to be a prisoner, all bloody and bruised, just to keep an eye on Aulora."

"That bloody bastard!" Rafeial fumed and before he could ask, Azrael confirmed his burning question.

"Yes, I killed him. "

"Good, one thing you did right in your pathetic life, " Rafeial smirked as his hand went towards the ashtray, flicking the butt of his cigarette before leaning back again.

Azrael rolled his eyes, "I set Aulora free, to see what she would do, but she got caught and taken for the execution as Silas watched. Persephone and I waited until we were sure Lila was going through with it before stepping in and getting her here, " he paused, eyeing Rafeial, "I thought that seeing her damaged enough you would dial it down a bit but you, my insane brother, went way beyond, to an extent of losing your precious essence."

"What if this is all a game? What if Silas knew you were there and he wanted to play with our minds?" Rafeial still wasn't anywhere near convinced.

"It could be, and at the same time, it couldn't." When Rafeial furrowed his eyebrows, Azrael explained further, "see, I myself am nowhere near trusting her as well, but that doesn't mean we can't use her as bait."

"Dismantling them from the inside," the corner of Rafeial's lips curved upward in a sinister manner, "I like where this is heading."

"I'm just somewhat concerned about getting the others into that plot."

"You leave that on me, Azra, that is where being the oldest comes in hand."

"I've said this before and I'm going to say it again, you're one twisted fuck, Rafeial Slade. " Azrael shook his head, smirking whilst Rafeial let out a throaty laugh.

Azrael placed his finished cigarette into the ashtray and stood up, "Let us go and see the situation with Esai and Persephone, " he walked towards the door, unlocking it, "and please, don't overreact this time. We don't trust her, I'm aware, but we need her to trust us for this to work." Azrael stood in the open doorway as he turned back to look at his brother.

Rafeial finished his cigarette as he got up, "I would promise you but you already know I don't keep them." He fastened the button on his jacket as he followed Azrael.

Rafeial passed his thick, long fingers through his dark brown hair, setting the unruly locks in place as he followed Azrael to where Aulora was, "let me clear this up now, I won't start treating her as my long lost lover, I will treat her as I deem fit."

***

So here's a little more insight into the story. I hope you enjoy. And I wrote this in the third person as I didn't want to reveal much detail just now.

Don't forget to kick the votes and comment your thoughts.

Fan, share and follow.

Until next time...

Yours truly;
J. N. Light.