Chapter Fifteen

"There is not a righteous man on earth who does what is right and never sins"  - Ecclesiastes 7:20

~

"Astra, I don't know how many times your father and I correct you before you get it right." Mother sighs as her narrowed eyes bore into me.

My head is down in shame and fear, I seem to always do something that upsets her and that's never good.

"I'm sorry mother," my voice unknowingly comes out shaky.

She sighs, "I'm sick of the apologies. Your behavior screams inferior and weak, when a Leone is anything but. We are both highly disappointed in you."

My father stands quietly off to the side observing the exchange. Even though he hasn't vocalized his disappointment in me I'm sure he feels the same as mother. I should've listened properly and controlled my emotions. Instead I let them take a hold of me during an interrogation I was expected to watch. Only to throw up and turn away when the man's genitals were severed.

One of my parents' men was in charge of delivering such punishment and when he saw my reaction he only shook his head at me. I knew my parents would immediately be notified.

I try to level my voice, "It won't happen again."

Her laugh echoes through the room sending a shiver down my body, "It better not. Now go collect the switch. You must take your lashes for your behavior. After you will head to training with Luca."

My muscles tighten as I go to grab as asked, trying to mentally prepare myself for the harsh stick that always leaves welts and bruises. My hands grab the stick shaking as I make my way back over to my mother, dropping to my knees with my back towards her and eyes on my father.

Practically begging him to stop what's about to happen and save me. His eyes stay free of emotions as he takes us in and just watches. Hearing the swoosh of the stick in the air I don't have time to prepare myself before the hot flash of pain erupts in the center of my back.

*snap*

*snap, snap*

*SNAP*

-

I fly off the couch gasping as my lungs clench from panic and the need for oxygen. My skin itches as it remembers the feeling of the stick that was once against it. Curling in a ball I place my head between my knees as I try to control my breathing.

"La lealtà e la famiglia è ciò per cui viviamo. Il tradimento è ciò per cui morirai.." Repeating the words shakily to myself until they faded from my lips.

My hands debate on grabbing my phone and calling Derek to have a gym session but I don't. Things have been weird the last few weeks. I was actually getting comfortable with the group even though it made me more than uncomfortable most times. It's not something I wanted to happen but I listened to David and tried.

The team has been acting tense lately, and it has put me on edge. Even Spencer has been acting tense and uncomfortable. I don't know what for but it's been putting me on edge around them. I don't like not knowing things.