Chapter 1: Expelled

The action takes time in 2017.

Tessa's pov:

Another shitty evening. I'm sitting at my desk, trying to write an essay about natural environment for school. I don't like the topic, but well, what can I say? I'm trying my best to have good grades, so my mother can see I'm actually not a total failure. I know, she thinks I'm a complete loser, freak and a moron since I was born a girl. I'm surprised, she even delivered me. Big thanks to my dad and brother who wanted to keep me.

I was always the daddy's girl and my brother was mommy's boy. Since we found out my dad had cancer, my life became a disaster. After months of chemical treatment, he passed away on the day of my birthday. Second of June, 2010. His last words were directed to me, a four years old girl that couldn't understand what was happening.

'Something ends, something begins' they say. Yes, I agree. When my father's life ended, my mother's hate towards me started. She still thinks it's my fault father died, because it was my birthday.

A knock on my door pulls me out of my thoughts.

"Come in!" I yell and pretend to be focused on my homework, in case if it's my mother.

"Hey, weirdo" I feel the stress releasing as I hear my brother, Malcom softly say.

Yeah, I forgot my mother wouldn't really knock. She'd just come in and tell me what chore I gotta do.

To be honest, I'm more than happy to have Malcolm in my life. He's always been my big, protective brother. He stands up for me when my mother is yelling at me, he helps me with homework sometimes, he used to read me bed stories when I was a little, he taught me how to swim and ride a bike, he's been making my life a little happier since my mother never cared about me.

"Oh hey. I was just finishing my essay for school" I say proudly, showing him the sheet of paper

"Nice! can I read it?" he asks and starts reading when I nod "this sounds interesting. I'm sure it'll be the best essay in your class!" he laughs

"Duh" I joke and put the paper sheet into my notebook, then the notebook into backpack "is mother back home?" I ask him, hopefully waiting for a 'no'

"Yeah.." he sees the expression on my face changed into more sad one "everything's gonna be fine, Tessie. She too tired to yell at you today"

"Today" I chuckle, more to myself than him. He gives me a sad smile and makes his way out of the room.

I decide to FaceTime my best friend, Theo since I have my homework finished. We know each other since we were little kids. We don't live in the same city, so we're not going to the same school unfortunately. He's 2 years older than me, but when it comes to stupidity - we're equal. We have an amazing sense of humor.

We're both the freaks and the idiots. The ones that everyone says are weird and odd. Nobody can understand me better than him.

(on the phone call)

"Hellooo, bestieee" Theo exclaims

"Hey, Thi-Thi" I laugh

"Stop calling me that!" he yells visibly annoyed, because of the nickname.

He's so done with me, I swear to god. I love pissing him off.

"Oh I know you love it" I speak as he rolls his eyes

"How's your essay? Did you finish it?" he asks, changing the subject

"yep!" I say, popping the 'p'