Chapter 17: Are we back?

Lizzie's pov:

Tessie's passing out on set was the moment when I realized how hard it is going to be. It takes a lot to be a mother. I'm aware of it. I might not be perfect, but I promise I'll do anything to protect her. To hold her and comfort her. To be there for her.

The unlikable moments are recompensed with the sweet words, looks and actions. I'd imagine how it would be to be called 'mom', but when it comes to reality - it's a whole different thing. When Tess called me 'mama' for the first time, I felt like the entire world stopped. Like I stopped breathing. Like my younger-self finally smiled widely. The second time I couldn't help, but let my heart melt down. I cried, because of it before going to sleep. And I cried even harder, when I realized they were happy tears.

This is when I realized, that every time she'll call me 'mom', I'll be reminded how much love I deserve.

Men left a hole in my heart and I couldn't prevent the bitter cold from freezing my entire body and mind. Tessie's embrace melted the sadness down.

Many couples prefer to adopt a toddler. Though Tess is 11, I still see the baby in her. Her childhood trauma consumed her. Nobody let her be an actual baby. She'd had to be tough and strong.

For me, she'll always be a baby. I love her.

We played at the basketball court earlier and Tessie bruised her knee. There was some blood, so I had to decon it. She was so excited, when I showed her the marvel band-aids. It's the smallest things that make you happy I guess.

She runs off to show it to her best friend. I put all the used items back into the cabinet and head to the room, where everybody's staying.

I was thinking about inviting my sisters over. Kids seem to like them a lot. Besides, I'm dying to tell them today's experience.

I write a message on our groupchat, hoping they'll respond soon.

I still haven't discussed about the surname with Tess. I'm giving her a free hand. If she'll want to stick with Huxley, then that's okay. Somewhere deep in my heart, I'm hoping she'll want to change it to Olsen.

Tessa Olsen.

That sounds just adorable.

"Hey, where's Tessie?" Theo interrupted my thoughts, taking his eyes off the screen only for a second, while playing a video game with Chris

"Uh, I thought she was with you, guys" I reply in confusion

I make my way to the guest room, which is now hers. We so need to go shopping. I can't wait to help her decorate her room. I really want her to feel like she belongs, you know.

The door is cracked open. I notice my sweet girl sitting at the edge of the bed, staring at whatever's outside the window. She must've felt a dip in the bed, when I sat down, because she practically gasped.

"Sorry if I scared you" I apologize as she turns around to see me "How do you feel?"

"I'm..fine" she puts a small smile on her face, that always makes my heart melt

"You know, you can talk to me if anything happens. I won't judge you" I assure her, rubbing her back in comforting circles

I want to believe her, I truly do, but this is not a fine kid look. She looks so troubled.