25. Confession

The pogues each hopped off the new boat they just acquired and onto the chateaus dock

The pogues each hopped off the new boat they just acquired and onto the chateaus dock. "Alright we gotta start getting everything we need. We're leaving tomorrow morning." Blair announced.

"You and JJ get everything we'll need from the chateau to the boat, and set our coordinates so we're on the right course." Kie pointed. "John B, Pope, and I will get all the fuel we'll need and some more stuff over at our house."

Each of them nodded carefully. Pope sighed causing them each to look at him. "I'm gonna leave a note for my dad or something. I can't exactly tell them I'm disappearing for awhile until it's safe enough to come back."

Blair nodded agreeing with him. "We should leave a note for Anna and Mike too."

"Already on my list" Kie pointed to her head before making her way off the dock.

"Just meet me at the house once you guys are done, B!" Kiara yelled.

"Sounds good! So we'll all just meet back here tomorrow morning" Blair said as each of them saluted their goodbyes. Leaving JJ and Blair still with the boat.

The two of them made their way into the château gathering maps, radios, blankets, anything they thought useful for their journey.

"That bread's got mold JJ, Kie'll bring us food don't worry about it" Blair told him as JJ prepared himself a sandwich.

"What? This is for right now, I'm starving." He said taking a bite then instantly spitting it out in disgust.

"Uh yeah, definitely moldy."

Blair laughed to herself after gathering a map from Big John's office. She sighed at the empty office before closing its door behind her. John B always carried the compass he found that belonged to his father. It would be of use to them on their journey she thought.

Blair headed back to the boat with the last of their essentials they could gather. She sat down spreading the map out on the seat beside her as she examined it.

She heard footsteps approaching as JJ's voice spoke up. "Can't forget the beer" he said while hopping onto the boat with a case in his hands.

She ignored him as she focused on marking the map with the correct coordinates. JJ sat next to her.

"So what do we gotta worry about? Lemme see" he took the marker from her hand and drew a line marking an X on an island. "See easy enough, we're done"

"JJ we have to be serious, we don't wanna end up off track-" she reached for the marker in his hand.

"Ah ah!" He held it away from her. "I say we celebrate our descending off with a drink. Or two." He handed her a can of beer as he opened up his own.

Blair sighed in defeat. "Fine. Shotgun?"

JJ cheered. "That's the B I know, let's do this"

He punctured a hole in both their cans and they each downed theirs one at a time. Blair shook her head at the bitter taste. JJ crushed his can tossing it aside.

Blair sat down again sighing looking at the ocean behind them. She couldn't help but feel guilt wash over her. She thought about Pope leaving his family behind, her and Kiara leaving Anna and Mike all without a word spoken to them as to why. She thought about John B and how they didn't get a chance to pursue his search for his father. Even if it was a far stretch. She let the guilt eat her emotions making her feel this was all her fault. She closed her eyes hoping to prevent any tears from falling.

JJ sat himself next to her. "Hey, didn't I say we're supposed to be celebrating?" he said in a softer voice.

She looked down for a moment. "Yeah... There's just a part of me that feels like this is all my fault. I know you're ready to get out of here this quick but it's not fair to the others. Ya know?" She asked fiddled with her empty beer can.

JJ shook his head. "You got it all wrong"

"What do you mean?"

"No one thinks of you that way, I know I sure as hell don't. Finding out our best friend is a mermaid is probably one of the best things that's happened to us" JJ said proudly. Blair smiled a bit.

"And don't worry about what they think cause in the end, they're pogues and we stick together. We're a family." JJ spoke again.

"I guess you're right, wow who knew you could give such good pep talks" Blair joked.

JJ raised his hands "Hey I have my moments"

Blair tossed her empty can in a bin near them. "Besides, John B's the one who gave me the idea of the whole thing.. It was the other night we were at the beach.." she trailed off.

JJ frowned before standing up. He leaned his hands on the side of the boat looking down to the water beneath them. He was contemplating thoughts in his head. At war with himself. Before decided that it was now or never.

Blair tilted her head at him as he was unusually quiet. "You good?"

JJ was quiet for another moment before speaking. "No. Not really."

She stood up to stand beside him resting a hand on his shoulder. "What's up with you?"

He struggled to find his words. To find what he wasted to say in that moment. He thought hard before finally speaking again.

"There's something I have to tell you." He said still looking down.

Blair began to get concerned. JJ was never serious like this. Something had to be very wrong. "What? You're starting to scare me. Did you do something?"

JJ sighed. "No. It's not like that."

"Then... what is it?"

"I don't know what it is." He walked to the bow of the boat now as he spoke. "I just-"

"JJ come on, you can tell me. You can always tell me anything you know that" Blair encouraged.

"That's the thing. I can always tell you anything and everything cause you've been there for me for as long as I can remember. And lately things just feel different... I-I don't know what I'm saying" he cut himself off. Blair stepped closer to him waiting for him to continue.

He sighed once more. "Lately.... everything just feels different cause..." he looked at her now staring into her eyes that reflected the ocean waters. The sun's light was at golden hour now.

"I think I'm in love with you."

~~~