28. Fish out of water

In all her time being a mermaid, Blair had never swam so far or so long

In all her time being a mermaid, Blair had never swam so far or so long. She swam all the way to the island the Pogues planned on making their new home. Then swam all the way back to the outer banks' waters. She was exhausted, physically and mentally. Physically she felt she desperately needed a break from the long journey. Mentally she missed her friends. And of course John B, was what he said about loving her true? She wanted so badly to explain and make everything right again. And that's exactly what she planned on doing.

Blair was currently swimming far past the harbor. She'd managed to stay far out of sight of any potential nets, cameras, or boats that were on lookout for her. That was until her swimming slowed down drastically due to exhaustion, and soon enough she noticed a boat at the surface just a few miles away from where she swum. With all her strength, she sped through the waters to get far away from it's view.

After she finally thought she was safe, suddenly she felt a sharp sting in her tail causing her to stop mid swim. As she turned another sharp sting hit her forearm. She used her hand to pull out what looked to be a tranquillizer dart and the same down on her fin. Her limbs became weak and heavy feeling as if she were being pulled deep down to the bottom of the sea, and that's when everything went black.

~~~

"The rope is secure sir!" A diver yelled from the water as two of them dragged the limp body of the girl that was half fish.

"Reel her up!!" Ward Cameron yelled to the men working on his boat. Two more men hurried to yank on the ropes that slowly heaved up the mythical sea creature. The divers boarded the ship, while the mercreature was fully pulled out of the dark sea and into the air. The ropes tied at the end of her tail just above her fin, and her hands tied behind her back. She was still unconscious, as all the men stared in awe not only at it's existence but at her beauty.

Ward Cameron brought his hands to his mouth in shock as he watched the motionless creature hung there. "Rafe! Are you seeing this?!" He yelled to his son who was below deck but ran up the stairs immediately at his fathers call.

Rafe was greeted by his father as soon as he reached the top of the stairs. His father placed both hands on his son's shoulders.

"We did it son." His father said proudly to him. Rafe's heart was racing, as he was unsure if he was ready for this moment.

Ward stepped aside for the caught mermaid to come into Rafe's view. His heart contiued to race with astonishment as he stared at the long scales that ran down her tail. Leading up to the girl's face is when his heart dropped.

"...Blair?" He spoke in almost a whsiper.

His father's head snapped towards him. "What?"

Rafe shook away any reorganization in his mind. "Nothing."

"Sir, she's waking up." One of the men aboard spoke to Ward. "Should we shoot her with another?" He said pulling out their tranquilizer gun again.

"No... Leave her stable. She can't escape anyways." Ward said firmly.