11

Vincent Hacker

She was here... in the same place as me.

It's been a month since i've seen her and when i do, i couldn't form any words or actually have the balls to talk to her.

"Who's the guy?" I asked Blake.

She walked out of here with a guy following behind her. He was tall and if i'm being honest he is a handsome dude. I also noticed his eyes were not brown but they were either blue or green.

"Her friend, Ryan. He's nice he drove here with her"

"Why are you all dressed like you went golfing?" I questioned curiously.

"We went to Amelie's country club" I nodded, "I have to go i think they're waiting outside for me but it was good seeing you"

We said bye to each other and he walked out.

-

"Hey mommy" I greeted my mom happily on the phone. "I miss you"

"Hi Vin i miss you too" I smiled, "How's training baby?"

"Tiring, Tyler and Liam had me running today."

I heard her laugh, "You sound lazy"

"I'm just tired" I sighed, "How are you guys over there?"

"We're okay Reg is glad his last day of school is tomorrow but he's out with Lu right now"

"That's nice" I said genuinely, "How about dad and Poncho?"

"Poncho is chasing his tail and dad is out back working on the shed"

"Oh"

"How are things with Angel?" Okay i guess right to the point.

I let out a deep breath and stayed quiet.

"Still not talking?"

"No" I looked at the wall in front of me, "And she's been hanging around this one guy so i don't think we will talk."

"Everything will get better" No it won't, "I wanted to ask you something" I hummed. "Are you okay with me inviting her to my birthday dinner?"

Am i okay with being near her?

"Yes" I played with the ring on my finger, "But i'm not sure she'll go to be honest, mom she doesn't want to be near me"

"And she has that right but i just want to try" I nodded even though she can't see me, "We still talk so it's not gonna be weird" Huh??

"What?"

"We text, i check up on her like i do with you."

Why has she never told me this. I thought Angel never replied to her.

"Why didn't you ever mention that to me?" I'm kind of offended, i'm her son and she didn't mention being in contact with my ex.

"Because i don't need to, just like i don't need to mention our conversations to her" Okay she's got a point. "Okay well i'm gonna give her a call, talk to you later Vin"

"Okay bye i love you mom"

"I love you too take care" And with that our call ended.

———————————————————————

Angel Montoya

"Try this" Mary offered me a bite of her eggo pop tart but i shook my head. "Its honestly so good"

"You like any flavor pop tart" I laughed

"True" She took another bite and chewed it, "How'd you feel seeing him again?"

"Like shit" I answered honestly, "He looks good, as good as he looked a month ago and i look different... not even in a good way"

"Don't do that, you are beautiful Ang you do look different but you could never look bad. You're my best friend obviously we wouldn't be friends if you were ugly" I gasped which made her laugh.

"That's so mean Mary"

"I'm kidding but you are beautiful" I smiled and was gonna tell her something but my phone started ringing. When i looked down at my phone, a picture of me and Maria was shown with her contact name in big letters so i showed Mary before walking into one of the rooms to be in a more private area. I pressed the green button.

Of course i'd answer her she is one of the people who is constantly checking on me and honestly we have a great relationship that i wouldn't trade for the world. Id never ignore any of Maria's texts or calls.

"Hellooo" I dragged the o.

"Hi darling"

"Hi Maria" I spoke happily, "How are you?"

"I'm good how are you today Angel?"

"I'm also good today" I have my bad days and i have my even worse days but today is just a bad day so it's okay. "I was with Marybelle watching her eat a pop tart" I heard a chuckle from her.

"I'm glad you're good but you were watching her eat it?" I nodded stupidly thinking she could see me.

"Yes it was an eggo pop tart so i wanted to see her reaction to trying it" I admit, "She liked it, she likes anything to be honest"

"Did you try it too?"

"No i don't really like pop tarts maybe just the strawberry ones but Payton finished them all yesterday" I got so hungry today that i was gonna try to eat but i wanted a pop tart so i went to the pantry. There was none left.

"Oh i like those too" We have a lot in common. "Okay Angel i have a question, you don't have to give an answer now please have some time to think but not too much."

"Okay, what is your question?"

"My birthday" I hummed, "We're going out to eat-" Food, "And i would really appreciate if you could be there to celebrate with us." I stayed quiet for a couple seconds, "I know things aren't good between you and Vin but you don't even have to talk to him or be next to him. Jett and Jack will also be there so honestly you wouldn't have to be near him."

I could put my feelings aside for a day especially if it's her special day. "I'll be there"

"Really?" Maria questioned surprised.

"Yes, I would never not be at your birthday"

"You will always be a daughter to me Angel, I love you and can't wait to see you. It's on my actual birthday by the way"

June 14, six days away.

"I'll be in Seattle on the 13" I informed her.

"You could bring someone with you if that would make you feel better about being there"

"Thank you"

If i did want someone to go with me i'd probably ask Payton. She finished school a couple days ago anyways.

Before going back to Mary i hung up and was just thinking. I would've been so lucky to have Maria as my mother in law.