Beautiful Family

Scarlett's POV:
After feeding the giraffes, which was both adorable and arguably traumatizing for Carter, I walked us over to where Colin and Rose were waiting for us. We said a quick thank you to the crew members at the exhibit and started headed towards the food court area.

Rose was babbling on about how cool the giraffes were, while Colin listened intently, adding his own points to the conversation at some spots. Meanwhile, I could tell Carter was fighting the battle with sleep and losing as she kept snuggling further into my hold. I don't blame her, we've done plenty of walking already, especially for a five year old, and her initial experience with Henry could not have aided any. Her tears must've been the final straw and all I could do was anticipate the struggle it will be to get her to eat lunch.

The walk to the outdoor food court was around fifteen minutes and luckily it wasn't overly crowded since we happened to be eating slightly later than anticipated. As we looked at the options, Colin and I decided on a place called Tiger's Tavern. It had simple options that we believed would make things easier for the girls. We waited in one of the lines to order, scanning the menu for options.

'What do you want, trouble?' Colin asked Rose.

'I want Mac n cheese.' She replied, not surprising us in the least. If there was one thing to be known of Rose, it's that she will forever pick mac n cheese over any other option unless we're at a nicer place, where instead she gets it as her side. She has told us before that she wants to try mac n cheese at every place in the world one day, so she can pick the best. Currently, she still has her Nana's ranked at number one.

'Ok, and what side and drink do you want?' Colin asks.

'Um, apple slices and lemonade.' She tells him.

'Sounds good, Rosebud.' He says while looking back to the menu. Now it's my turn.

'Carter. Baby.' I coo gently trying to wake her up. All I get is a whine in response.

'Honey, I know you're sleepy but we need to get something in that tummy of yours.' I try, while rubbing her back to urge her out of sleep.

'No hungwy.' She whined quietly, sleep lacing her small voice. I don't think I'll ever get over her baby talk and as convincing as it is, I know she needs to eat.

'I know baby, but I need you to eat something and then I promise you can take a nap.' I tell her, softly. She whines again, but pulls away from my shoulder to look towards the menu a little. I watch as she adjusts to her eyes and scans our surroundings before she turns to me with a big, adorable but big, pout on her face.

'I'm sorry, love bug, but I can't walk around for a couple more hours knowing you haven't eaten since this morning. I need you to get something in your tummy even if it's not all of your food.' I explain.

She huffs before leaning against me, her head nestled against my neck as she plays with my necklace.

'What have?' She says.

'Well you can have a mini pizza, a cheeseburger, chicken tenders, Mac n cheese, or grilled cheese.' I read off.

'No know. No hungwy.' She sighs.

'I know, love, how about a grilled cheese, it's a lot lighter than everything else and you can have some French fires with it.' I suggest. She nods simply.

'Ok, now what would you like to drink?' I ask only receiving a shrug in response.'Would you like lemonade like Rosie, water, milk, or apple juice?'

'Choco milk?' She questions.

'You can have chocolate milk, baby.' I respond and she nods turning her head away and snuggling further into me. I rub her back, kissing her head and swaying us back and forth a little, letting her know I appreciate her cooperation with me. After we order our food, we find a table in the seating area, close to the tavern and sit down.