I love you

Carter's POV:
We sat there for a couple minutes letting the rest of my feelings calm down more. I never thought I'd have a sister, but I'm glad I do, especially because it's Rosie. She's the greatest.

'Mama said you might not be ready but I love you, baby.' Rosie whispered to me as she hugged me tighter again. We had been sat in between our seats for a while just snuggling. It really helped. It wasn't as nice as Scarly's cuddles, but they were pretty close. It was different. A good different.

'We should probably let them in the car now.' Rosie said while giggling. I turned to where she was looking and saw dad leaning against Scarly while she pushed him away. She was smiling so I guessed it was just him being silly.

'Is that ok, Carter?' She asked looking at me. I thought for a second. Sure it would be nice but I wasn't ready to talk to anyone else yet, but I did feel bad for pushing away Scarly. She looked really upset. I didn't mean to upset her.

'Ro-Ro do it?' I questioned hoping she understood. Luckily she did and she helped me off her lap. She moved towards the door as I got in my seat. She opened the door and told them they could come in now. I found myself stopping as I heard Scarly and daddy asking if everything was ok.

Rosie whispered some things to them and before I knew it daddy was buckling me in. I kept my head turned wanting to avoid any questions or looks from him. He seemed to understand how I felt and went quick before getting in his own seat. As soon as he closed my door, I turned to look out the window hoping to avoid  Scarly too. I felt to guilty to face her.

I made her sad. It was my fault. Maybe she would leave when we got home. What if I never saw her again? What if I never saw Rosie again? What if I ruined everything? I like her. I really do. She's different. She's better. She's not like daddy's other girlfriends. She's the only one I want. I want him to stay with her I think. I'm not completely sure yet.

But I do know something. I know that she's like a well, like a mommy. I don't know if she'll be mine but even if she's not she's the closest I've ever had. I hope she's mine.

I was brought from the endless thoughts of my mind, when I felt a tap on my hand. I jumped not expecting the contact, but looked to where it was coming from. I looked up meeting Rosie's eyes.

'Baby, we've been trying to get your attention for like forever. Colin said we're gonna get dinner. He wants to know if you're ok with Mexican.' She tells me. I shake my head of the previous thoughts and nod looking up at her.

'Ok,' Rosie says, 'Carter says it's fine.'

I hear daddy give a 'got it' to Rosie before looking back out the window. I watch as the car drives away from the zoo and look at the cars as we drive by. I could feel Scarly looking towards me throughout the ride until I zoned out looking out the window and only stopping when I felt the car stop.

As I heard the click of other people unbuckling, I soon felt hands undoing the buckles of my car seat and turned to Rosie as she helped me out. Daddy opened the door for us and helped Rosie jump out before setting me on the ground. He closed the door behind us as we made our way towards the restaurant. I held onto Rosie's hand trying not look at Scarly. I think I might cry if I have to face her, and I'm sick of crying today.

'Just apologize, baby.' Rosie whispers to me. I look at her confused.

'I know what you're thinking. I promise she's not mad. She's just worried because she cares about you. She does the same thing for me. Well that's what she tells me. Just say sorry. She only wants to know you're ok.' She tells me.

'But-'I start

'No buts. I promised we're not going anywhere. Talk to her. I know you want to.' She says before turning away. I follow her through the doorway as we walk with daddy to the podium. Scarly sits on one of the benches.

'Why don't you girls go sit with mommy?' Daddy says as he turns to us. Rosie nods and walks to her but I hesitate. Daddy leans down to my level.

'Talk to her, sweetheart. It's not as hard as you think it is. She won't be mad. In fact I think she'll be happy if you do. Go.' He directs me as he stands back up. I take a deep breath before walking towards them preparing myself for what I'm about to do. I could really use a nice cuddle right now. Fingers crossed.

I walk to Rosie, noticing the bench is a little higher than I can easily get on. Before I can tap her, I feel hands lifting me into the bench. I look behind me to see daddy winking at me, as he stands me on the bench. He walks away to the desk and I turn to Rosie. She nods her head encouragingly at me and I take a deep breath.

I feel an arm against my leg and follow the feeling to find Scarly's arm blocking me from falling off the bench. I look at her and see she's focused on her phone. It's now or never I guess. I take a deep breath and move her arm causing her to look at me. Before she can say anything, I move to sit on her lap. I feel her tense before she sets her phone down and puts her hands on my hips to make sure I don't fall off.

She doesn't say anything, giving me the time I need to talk first. It makes me think of how much I love the little things she does to keep me comfortable and safe. No one's ever done the small things for me.

'I'm sorry.' I say softly, playing with my hands. She sighs.

'Why are you sorry, baby?' She asks.

I break a little, 'I didn't mean to upset you. I swear. I just-I just didn't know what to do. It was-

'Too much. I know, lovey. You just got overwhelmed. You have absolutely nothing to be sorry for. You don't control your emotions, you just feel them, and that's completely healthy.' She explains.

'I'm sorry.' I say sadly.

'No more sorry's, love. You did nothing wrong. Thank you for apologizing but I don't want to hear it. You've got no reason to apologize for your feelings. Ever.' She tells me softly yet sternly. I just give a small nod not knowing what to say.

I feel her gently lift my chin so our eyes meet, 'Can you promise me something, baby?'

I think for a moment before nodding, finally looking into her eyes. They're filled with care, concern, and love?

'I want you to talk to me next time. That way we can work it out together instead of having a big breakdown. They're no fun. I want us to be on the same page so I can help you and make things easier.' She says. I nod still captured by her eyes. Something about them just melts all your problems away. They make me feel oddly safe. Like when I'm with her, nothing can hurt me.

'Ok. We're ok. I'm ok. I'm not upset or mad at you. You're ok. You're calm. You're safe. You're loved. Everything's ok.' She reassures me. I just nod with her. I slowly lean into her more as she pulls me in for the cuddle I so badly needed. She kisses the crown of my head rocking me the way I like. The way only she can. The only way I want.

'I love you.'

A/N: ok, so it's been awhile. I deeply apologize. This was not meant to come out so late, and I wasn't supposed to be so far behind. The past few weeks have been absolutely insane. I've been crazy busy and completely exhausted. Anyways, I made this a little longer and hopefully a little more accurate for everyone concerned. My intention with the last chapter was that Rose was mature for her age and a great sister but i forgot that I made a last minute change to her age and did not adjust my idea. My apologies but she was supposed to be much older. I guess enjoy, leave any ideas/suggestions in the comments. I love you all very much and thank you for your support and patience. See you in the next one.
Love,
EJ <3