First Heartbreak

MiMi's POV:
'Oh, honey.' I said watching the tears as they formed in her eyes.

The oncoming quivering of her bottom lip is what prompted me to lift her into my arms, 'Let's get you inside.'

I held her tightly against my front, one arm supporting her bottom the other rubbing soft circles on her back. As I stepped towards the door I could feel the heartbreaking feeling of her walls breaking down, as her body began to tremble with sadness and confusion.

Crossing the threshold of the door, was more than metaphorically a massive turning point in the nights events. It was the moment when Carter finally broke down. The gut wrenching sobs that escaped her lips filled the previous silence of the house. It was like a painful melody to my ears as they followed the rhythm of her breaths. Sob. Breath. Sob. Breath. Sob. Breath.

Every time without fail I could here her trying to catch her breath from the exhaustion of the last cry. I quickly closed and locked the front door, completely abandoning my previous plans to get her to eat at least something. Shutting off the lights on the way, I headed upstairs.

At the sound of Carter choking on her breath, I paused my reassurances and comforting movements to pull her away from me so I could see her face. Her tear-stained, blotchy-cheeked face.

'Carter, baby, you're gonna make yourself sick. You have to calm down a little. Let's take some deep breaths.' I told her, scared she'd end up sick on top of the rest of the night's unfortunate events.

Walking into her room, I sat myself on the bed, her on my lap as I tried to get her to follow my breathing. Though it was to no avail, as she tried her hardest to follow but just continued to choke on her breaths as she tried.

In a frantic loss of what to do, I reached for my phone calling the only person I thought possible of calming her.

'Hello?' They asked on the other end.

Before I could answer, Carter let out another loud sob, obviously beginning to get worked up again.

'Was that Carter?' They questioned, 'What's going on? Is she alright? Is she hurt? What happened?'

'Yes, I can't get her to calm down and she's gonna make herself sick if she doesn't soon. Long story. She's really worked up right now and I don't know what else to do, if she's not responding to anything.' I said as fast as I could, finding myself out of breath when I finished.

'Woah woah woah. Calm down. You're not gonna be able to help her if she sees that you're stressed too.' They assured me. Nodding my head I took a deep breath.

'Can you turn the phone around so she can see me?' They asked. I nodded my head turning the phone so it was facing Carter.

'Baby, I need you to take some deep breaths with me.' They attempted to instruct her. She simply shook her head her tears blurring her vision over entirely as she was becoming increasingly unaware of everything around her.

'Carter, honey. It's Mama. It's Scarly. Listen to her, baby.' I informed her, trying to grasp her attention. I wasn't exactly sure what was best to call Scarlett in this situation. On the one hand her and Colin had agreed to calling her Mama or some variant of that to encourage her to recognize Scarlett's place as a motherly figure in her life. But on the other hand, she was in distress in the moment and I didn't want any confusion or uncertainty of the title to further upset her.

At the mention of who was on the phone, Carter tried her best to focus on the person on the screen. I watched as she blinked her eyes furiously trying to clear the blurriness from them. Her chest moved up and down rapidly as she tried to breath. I could tell she was forcing her mouth closed in an effort to stop her cries, though it wasn't working very well as whimpers continued to escape her lips.