Tough Secrets

Scarlett's POV:
I stood up from the tub, smiling at the girls. As I turned to leave for a moment, I felt a small hand holding me back. I quickly looked to face none other than Carter holding onto my hand. She looked at me with pleading eyes.

'Baby, I'm just going to get your girls clothes for the day. I'll be right back.' I told her, thinking she was just concerned about where I was headed. I was wrong.

When she didn't let go, I leaned down closer to her level. I could tel she didn't want to voice her fears, but it didn't stop the words that barely left her.

'No go.' She whispered.

I wanted to melt. I couldn't tell whether it was from how adorable she was asking for me to stay, or if maybe it was a different case. A case too sad to admit.

'Lovebug, I will be back in just a moment.' I tried to assure her but her hand held a firm grip on my own.

I found myself subconsciously running my thumb back and forth over her hand, trying to soothe her into letting me go as I explained that I was coming back.

She shook her head at my words, tears beginning to form in her eyes. I'm not gonna lie but I've never felt so lost on what to do in my life.

'Hey, no tears, baby. You're ok. I'm ok. We're all ok.' I said calmly, 'I need to get you and Rosie clothes for the day. Then I will be back to help you wash your hair and get all nice and squeaky clean. Then we'll get out of the tub and get into some nice clean clothes. And I'll do yours and RoRo's hair. And we'll all go eat some yummy breakfast.'

I thought that explaining everything that was gonna happen might work to reassure her that nothing bad would happen. Why I needed to reassure a five year old if such things was not lost in my thoughts. In fact, it actually took them over.

Carter continued to look at me, her eyes glossed over with unshed tears that I would not let fall. I knew it in my heart that I had the ability to make her comfortable enough to understand there was no need for the fears she held over my absence. But I also knew that she didn't know that yet and it's something that I would spend the next forever teaching her until she understood.

'I promise I'll be back in two minutes, my love.' I bargained, making it clear that I would never be gone for very long.

She looked unsure, like she didn't believe me. Or maybe it was trust. She didn't trust me. It hurt to think that could be the case. But I knew there was more to it than that if it was. Who made her think she couldn't trust a promise?

'Don't worry, baby. Mommy's coming back. We can play while we wait. It'll make her come back sooner.' Rosie tried to help me.

She turned to look at Rosie, her grip loosening just enough for me to switch our places. I held her hands in mine, as she turned to look back at me, sadly.

'Yeah, love. Play with RoRo. Mommy will be right back.' I told her as I stood back up, releasing her hands. She reached back for mine as I walked away. I knew I couldn't look back at her or it would cause issues so I just kept walking, eventually leaving to Rose's room first.

Rose's POV:
Carter continued to look after Mom after she left the bathroom. It was kinda sad to see her so upset. I don't like seeing my little sister upset.

'Look, Carter.' I tried to distract her, 'Let's play.'

She turned to me, sadly. She looked like someone just told her something really really bad.

'She's coming, baby. She promised. Mommy never breaks a promise. It's not nice to break your promises.' I reassured her.

She looked like she was thinking hard. Like she didn't think I was telling the truth, but I was. Mom's only ever broken a promise because it really needed to be broken. But it doesn't mean she doesn't make sure everything is always good.

'Daddy never keeps his promises.' She said quietly after a long moment of silence. I didn't know what to say. Why was Colin so  different when Carter described him than when he was with me and Mama?

'That's not right of him, baby. You don't deserve that.' I told her. She looked up at me, tearing her gaze from the ducks in front of her. There were tears in her eyes and I don't know what that meant. I wasn't expecting it but she threw herself at me. I quickly wrapped my arms around her holding her tightly. I'm glad she likes to hug me like she does with Mom.

'You can trust me, Carter. I'm your big sister. Mommy never breaks a promise. She'll always protect us no matter what.' I held her in my arms as she clung to me.

I looked up, seeing Mama standing at the door, obviously having heard our conversation. She smiled at me, mouthing how she was proud of me. I smiled back nodding my head.

Carter pulled away to look at me, 'never?'

I could see how much she wanted to believe me in her eyes. They were begging for my answer and I was happy to give it to her.

'Never ever.' I replied firmly. She nodded her head, taking in my words. That's when Mom decided to make her presence known.

'What did I miss?!' She exclaimed, smiling, 'I thought we were playing not cuddling.'

Carter immediately turned to her, moving away from me to the edge of the tub where she had knelt down. Mom smiled at her, running her hand through her hair. She always reminded me to be gentle just by watching her. Mama was like that with almost everyone. She felt no need to be harsh.

'Alright, let's get my two snuggle buddies all clean and ready so we can get some cuddles in before we leave.' She said while reaching for the water cup.

We wordlessly listened, playing with the bath toys as she washed our hair, careful not to hurt us and to make sure she got all the dirt out from the previous days. After washing our bodies super good, we got out of the tub. Mama wrapping us both in a towel of our own and lifting us onto the mat.

I started dressing myself in the outfit she picked after she helped both of us apply some body cream to keep our skin nice and soft. We got to use Mama's fancy ones since they smelled like her.

Mama helped Carter get dressed in an outfit very similar to my own. We were kinda matching and I thought it was cute. I had a mini me in a way. Now I get why Mama always likes to call me her little mini. It's fun to have a little you.

She sat us on the counter as she did our hair, starting with Carter while I told her all about the fun things I was doing at camp this week. After Carter's hair was braided in two braids, she moved onto mine doing the same. Carter didn't say much, but she did giggle at some of the silly things I said, which made me smile. I'm glad I can make her laugh.

Once we were all ready, Mama went to help us off the counter but I preferred jumping down. She ended up just carrying Carter when she wouldn't let go, and after grabbing BoBo from the bed we headed downstairs for breakfast.

Scarlett's POV:
He's never kept a promise?

I really don't know if I'm ready to find out everything that goes on in Carter's life. What other secrets does she have? How are you supposed to react when you find out that a five year old, your five year old, has trust issues because of her own father?

Colin better hope this is as worse as it gets.

A/N: Much later than I expected to be posting this today, but a post is a post. Thank you to all who have gone to support my new book. It's greatly appreciated. I hope you loved this chapter, let me know.
Suggestions are always appreciated.
Love,
EJ <3