8

8

I did my homework when I got home, had a light snack and then changed for tonight. I put on my black cotton gypsy gothic top with Black Satin Longline Underbust Gothic Corset around it and I put on my Black Floral Corseted High Waist Gothic Skirt. I put on my Red Tartan Open Toed Mary Jane High Heeled Shoes and grabbed my clutch bag before going down stairs.

“Where are you off to so dressed up?” My mum asked me as she came out of the living room in her pyjamas.

“I have a date.”

“With who?”

“My boyfriend.”

“You have a boyfriend?” My mum asked surprised.

“Yeah, his name is Dante.”

The doorbell rang and a smile broke out on my face. I went over to the door and my mother came up behind me. Dante was standing at the door in black jeans, a white shirt and a leather jacket. He had on his dreamiest smile and I felt like I could melt at any moment.

“Hey,” He said and I smiled back.

“Hey,”

“Hi, I’m Marista, I’m Belladonna’s mother. It’s nice to meet my daughter’s boyfriend.” My mother said as she stretched her arm out for Dante to shake it. He looked at it hesitantly and then at me before carefully taking my mother’s hand in his. My mother gasped and then went ridged before pulling her hand away. She flicked her wrist and sent Dante flying. He landed with a thud on the grass and I tried to go to him, but my mother grabbed my wrist. “You are not allowed to go near him!” She hissed at me. I was having a mental battle with myself. On the one hand, I didn’t want to hurt my mother, but there was a bigger part of me that wanted to be with Dante. Screw this, I need Dante.

I retched my wrist from her hand and ran over to Dante. He groaned as he sat up and I fell to my knees beside him. I cupped his face in my hands and checked to make sure he was ok. My mother stormed out of the house and I stood up to protect Dante.

“Belladonna, move!” My mother ordered me.

“No mother, why do you want to attack Dante anyway?”

“He’s a vampire, he can’t be trusted.”

“Yes I can.” Dante coughed as he got up. “I’m Belladonna’s mate.”

“Witches don’t have mates.”

“But vampire’s do.” He said and I stood before him, letting him snake his arms around my waist. I rested against Dante, but I was still going to protect him.

“A witch and a vampire…that’s unheard of.”

“But Dante and I are soul mates. We love each other.”

“Belladonna…”

“Mum, nothing you say will change how I feel about Dante.” I told her stubbornly.

“Would it change your mind if I told you that vampires are the ones that really killed your father?”

My world froze for a moment there and I didn’t know what to do or say. I felt repulsed that I was now so close to a vampire when it was their species that hurt my father, but then I knew that I felt ok in Dante’s arms and I felt angry at my mother for keeping the truth from me.

“You told me he died in a car crash!”

“A car crash couldn’t have killed your warlock father.” My mother scoffed. “Vampires found out that he was a powerful warlock and wanted his magic, so they drained him. They got some of his magic, but his blood, your blood, is cursed so that if a vampire takes it unwillingly then they burn from the inside out. So a lot of vampires died that day.”