Chapter 9: My Eyes Are on You (Vivvy)

The truth is haunting me wherever I go. I want to confront Edgar about his behaviour, but I'm terrified of doing so. I wanted to talk to Genevieve, but after what I said, I can't bring myself to talk to her. She's not talking either... and I'm starting to worry a bit.

After school, I bumped into Ashton who was holding a basketball and was wearing our school's jersey. I spotted him almost instantly and walked up to him.

"Do you have a game today?" I asked. I didn't recall hearing about the boy's basketball team having a game.

"Yeah I do. Want to come watch us play?" invited Ashton. It sounded as though he was waiting for me to ask that. I haven't watched any of the boys play, so it'll be an opportunity to watch them.

"Sure thing," I smiled.

He smiled back at me. He looked pretty cute when he smiled. Wait, I really, shouldn't be thinking that.

I noticed a figure walking towards us, and it made my heart race. In fear. It was Edgar. I thought that he left school already. I didn't want to walk home with him. Especially after what I saw.

"I was waiting for you," Edgar said.

"Oh I'm sorry," I apologized. "I was going to watch the basketball game."

Edgar awkwardly smiled, "I-I can watch it with yo-"

"You can't. You need permission from the coaches to watch. Sorry," Ashton interrupted as he grabbed my wrist, "And we'll get going now."

Edgar was about to say something, but Ashton and I were already gone. Ashton thinks Edgar is weird too. He warned me about it in the beginning as well, and I didn't listen. Ashton held onto my hand and didn't let go until we were almost at the gym.

"Sorry about that," he apologized as he let go of my hand. I rubbed my wrist and hand and he noticed. He looked worried. "I didn't hurt your hand did I? You're rubbing them."

I stopped rubbing them because he pointed it out, "N-no. You didn't, don't worry."

My face felt warm as he showed concern for me. It felt like I was blushing.

"Also, I lied. We don't have a game today," Ashton said as he took off his jersey, revealing the white shirt he wore under it. I was surprised. It didn't sound like he was lying...

"Huh?! Then what do you have?!" I shouted.

He laughed a little at my reaction, "Well, we have practice. I wanted you to come and watch. If... you're still okay with that of course."

I agreed to go and watch. I was here, so might as well go. Ashton opened the gym door for me and I stepped inside. I saw some of Ashton's friends there, as well as the rest of the basketball team.

I... know nothing about basketball. Genevieve is kind of into it, so I learned a bit about it from her. She joined the girl's basketball team last year. It was different this year though, and I don't know why. Maybe she just didn't want to play basketball anymore.

Ashton guided me to the bench and I sat down. He handed me his water bottle and told me to hold onto it.

"Oh, so you invite me to just hold your stuff?" I joked.

"Haha no. I wouldn't do that. You can set it aside if you don't want to hold it. Anyways, make sure you watch me okay?" he requested.

I laughed a bit, "Yeah I will. My eyes are on you."

I watched as Ashton ran up to the coach. He was just telling the coach that I'll be watching, and the coach waved at me. Ashton shot me a quick glance and smiled at me. It made me blush a little. The way he looks and smiles at me... it's so.. endearing.

I watched Ashton run to the court to play. He was so.. good. He's been playing basketball since middle school, and he's still playing now. Seeing him play makes him look charismatic and just... amazing. He gets along with almost everyone on the team, and everything he did was flawless. Whether it's shooting, passing, or dribbling.

After he broke a sweat when challenging his friends, he walked up to me panting. I gave him his water bottle as he took a seat next to me.

"So, what'd you think? Did I do good?" he sounded excited as he asked.

"Yeah! You did great! You made a lot of your shots!" I smiled.

He smiled delightfully at my compliment as he set his water bottle aside and wiped his mouth with his shirt, "Thanks a lot."

Even though we haven't talked a lot, he seemed to enjoy my company. He was smiling happily, and I have to admit, I was doing the same.

After his short break, he passed me his basketball, "Wanna make a shot?" he asked.

I'm not that good at basketball, but making one shot wouldn't hurt. I was wearing the right clothes too. Cargo pants and a baggy shirt. I usually wore skirts, but today I didn't. Thankfully.

Ashton brought me to an empty basketball net where I could shoot. I stepped on the three point line, and adjusted my body so that I could successfully make a shot.

I jump.

I shoot.

And I score.

The ball went into the net, and it was a swish too. Ashton's eyes widened at my shot as some of his friends came over to compliment me.

"Wow Vivvy. Amazing," one of Ashton's friends said. "Heck, you might even be better than Ashton haha."

Ashton blushed from embarrassment.

"Thanks but, I just got lucky, that's all," I replied. Even I don't know how I made that shot.

Ashton playfully rubbed my head, "You did great. You're just too humble," he complimented.

Not a lot of people call me humble. They think I'm the opposite of that actually. However, hearing Ashton say that made me feel content. I smiled softly as I tried to hide a big smile from forming across my face.

Once practice was over, I waited for Ashton as he packed up.

"Wow you're waiting for me?" Ashton sarcastically asked.

"Of course," I answered.

He smiled. His smile is contagious. Every time he smiles, I want to smile too. I guess that's part of his charm. He patted me on the back, "C'mon, let's go."

As we were walking, I couldn't help but feel a pair of eyes staring at us. Chills went down my spine as I tried to pretend that everything was okay.

I'm probably just hallucinating.

I'm probably just stressed.

But why do I feel so scared?