1

6 months ago

"Sofia, what the heck is this?!" I asked angrily while waving a thin piece of metal at my sister on a hospital bed. I knew I looked like one of those thugs trying to collect debt from some poor unsuspecting victim, and I knew it looked even worse because I was doing this to a patient.

But man, I couldn't help it.

Sofia looked a little better today, but she was still too pale and gaunt to be considered healthy. Unfortunately, her condition had been worsening since she first fell ill six months ago.

My question to her was clearly a rhetorical one. Anyone with half a mind could tell that this metal slab was the Invitation. It was made up of an unearthly-colored metal, and it had the distinct rhombicosidodecahedron shape etched on it along with my name.

Yes, I know. The word rhombicosidodecahedron was a mouthful, but it was the term everyone on earth knew very well. It was a complicated geometric shape that symbolized the Door, a mysterious structure that appeared all over the world over two decades ago. I wasn't even born then yet, but I learned from history classes that it changed the whole world.

I continued to glare at Sofia.

"I was cleaning when I found this hidden in your room! How could you do this to me?! Why didn't you tell me that it arrived for me?"

I was annoyed, and for a good reason too, but I made an effort not to raise my voice. Sofia was becoming weaker everyday, and the useless doctors so far couldn't figure out what was wrong with her. I didn't want to upset Sofia if I could help it, especially because it was obviously why she did this.

But at the moment, it was anger that trumped over my usual concern for my older sister. With this Invitation, I could become a Rhombic. And if I became a Rhombic, I could make a better living for the both of us.

And most importantly, I might even be able to find a cure for Sofia.

Sofia looked away, guilt clearly showing on her face. I knew it was wrong to get angry at my sick sister, and boy I felt terrible about it, but I couldn't help it.

"You know why...," Sofia murmured. She didn't have to explain any further, because indeed, I knew it very well.

Becoming a Rhombic meant I could enter the Door or the Pockets and fight the monsters. Sure, it was a dangerous job, but the reward from it could improve our lives beyond our wildest dreams.

It was just me and my sister in this world after our parents died 10 years ago. I was five at the time, and Sofia, who was only eight years old herself, had to grow up very fast. The only family we had left were our uncle, his wife, and his two children who lived nearby. Uncle Bob ran his own restaurant, and unfortunately for me and Sofia, he and his wife weren't the caring type.

As soon as Sofia was old enough to work, and our uncle's definition of "old enough" was being able to stand in front of a sink, she was put to work in his restaurant kitchen. This was the only way for us to eat and clothe ourselves, because our uncle believed charging us less than the going rate for a dingy apartment above the restaurant was more than what he was obligated to do as a family.

So Sofia, and myself when I got older, worked in our uncle's place to make a living. I supposed I should be thankful for that. At least this was what Sofia always told me. Vancouver was an expensive place to live. So if it wasn't for our uncle, we would have been separated by the social services, or possibly even become homeless.

"Promise me you won't do it," Sofia begged. Her eyes filled with worry, she whispered, "You know how dangerous being a Rhombic can be. Leah, I... I can't lose you too!"