2

"My name is RM, and I'll be your guide into the Door today." A young guy in his late teens introduced himself with a dazzling smile. He was pretty muscular, and he had nice chocolate brown hair with some highlights. His hair seemed a tad too long for his face, but the confident attitude of an experienced Rhombic was reassuring.

I was standing inside the Canadian Rhombic Alliance Center, aka RAC. The RAC was a national organization responsible for anything related to the Doors, Pockets, and Rhombics. Just like all the RACs of other countries, the Canadian RAC was located close to the Canadian Door that appeared in South Delta, British Columbia.

After my Invitation was scanned and verified, I was ushered into a room to meet my guide.

"The first thing to do is to get you inside the Door and get your Marking," RM explained.

The Marking was a tattoo-like shape all Rhombics received on their wrists the first time they entered the Door.

RM continued, "Then, as you might already know, you must attend the mandatory three-week course run by the RAC. You'll learn everything you need to know there."

As we walked together, RM provided me with the standard information. He gave me the general history of the Door, and about how RAC's main duty was to keep the Rhombics safe and ready. After all, it was the Rhombics who kept the world safe from the Pockets exploding.

I followed RM out of the RAC building. The Door was within walking distance, and when we arrived, I finally laid my eyes on the world- famous structure. I had seen it countless times on TV and in textbooks, but never up close. All Doors were heavily guarded by each country's RACs, so most non-Rhombics never got the opportunity to see them in person.

The mysterious structure was a double-door shape made of the same unearthly metal as the Invitation. In the middle was the shape of, you guessed it, rhombicosidodecahedron.

This shiny yet dull metal always managed to mesmerize me with all of its secrets and mysteries. It held so many colors that couldn't be described. It wasn't overly big, just a little bigger than the average doors of people's homes, but it was still a formidable structure.

RM waited patiently as if to give me some time to admire the Door. He must have escorted countless newbie Rhombics before, so he probably knew how in awe I was right now.

I felt both nervous and excited at the same time.

"You know, this might be my last year," said RM quietly.

Knowing what he meant, I asked, "So you'll be 20 soon?"

"Yup, I just had my 19th birthday. I don't feel any different now, but just one more year and I might be done," RM replied nonchalantly.

Most Rhombics lost their power, and therefore their access to the Door, in their early 20s. This could happen abruptly or slowly over time. There were a rare few whose power remained with them, but the RAC estimated this to be less than 5% of all marked Rhombics.

I couldn't tell if RM was excited or upset about this. He had a vague smile on his face, and suddenly feeling the urge to fill this awkward silence, I mumbled, "Erm... Yay? Congrats on your... retirement, I guess?"

RM seemed startled as he turned toward me with a confused look.

Oh darn, did I offend him just now? Although I was born sarcastic, at least according to Sofia, I didn't mean anything by it this time. I was only trying to make conversation.

"Pfft... Hahaha!"

Phew, I was relieved to hear my guide burst into laughter.

RM replied, "Boy, you're making me feel so old, Leah. Are you going to call me 'Grandpa' now?"