13

"Aim higher! You gotta get its neck!"

My sword, which was a monster-costume garbed baby a moment ago, instructed me.

To my amazement, I was fighting. I was actually fighting the enormous goblin for real for the first time I entered the chamber.

At the beginning of the test, I was basically just flailing my child's sword around. My mind knew what to do, but my body refused to follow my orders.

But now, somehow, things were looking up. I didn't know why or how, but I felt stronger and lighter. My left hand was still grossly useless, but the new sword in my right hand was doing far better than what I could do with both of my arms earlier.

Oh my sword!

This new weapon of mine was slicing up the goblin like an experienced butcher with a newly sharpened knife. I bitterly remembered the dollar store sword that almost killed me earlier.

What a difference a good weapon could make! It was so good that somehow, it made me faster and more accurate. It was literally going to make the biggest difference in my LIFE!

The sword ordered, "Duck! Duck again! Lower your body, and try to get closer!"

I obeyed, and I snuck up behind the goblin again just like before. But this time, my aim was much truer when I managed to stick my sword into its neck. The sensation of the razor sharp blade cutting through its flesh and bone was heavenly.

Thud.

Rolllll....

Panting heavily, I looked down at the disoriented expression on my enemy's face. For the first time in my life, I was able to successfully behead a goblin. I was even more impressed with myself because this happened to be the biggest beast I have ever seen.

Many different thoughts swarmed my head. Still inside the forest I thought was going to be my grave, I breathed in the scent of blood.

My left hand still dangling, my right hand holding a sword that used to be a baby (I know, it sounds ridiculous), and my body covered in nasty wounds, I realized what had happened.

Despite all odds and my own skepticism, I had passed the first floor test.

***

Once my breathing normalized to provide more oxygen to my brain, the first emotion I felt wasn't relief that I had survived the impossible. It also wasn't the shock or pride that I passed the test I thought I never could. And it definitely wasn't curiosity about the inexplicable appearance of this puzzling baby/sword.

The adrenaline rush still remained with me, thank goodness, which had to be why I wasn't screaming bloody murder in pain. But all the adrenaline in the world was not going to be enough to numb the devastation I felt as I looked down at the ground right beside me.

On the dirty ground caked with mine and the dead goblin's blood was my left hand.

Somehow, my poor left paw managed to stick with me during the entire fight. I was so proud of the little guy hanging onto his mama so bravely.

But while I watched the goblin's body glowing to form a gem, it finally gave in.

My left hand had completely come off from my arm. I can tell you the exact second it happened because I clearly felt the last chunk of skin rip off and my left side suddenly feeling lighter.

I refused to look at my left arm. I just couldn't.

Listen, I'm not some squeamish child who needs to cover my eyes whenever a gruesome scene is playing in a movie. I enjoyed horror and gore just like any normal red-blooded young woman living in Canada.