24

[Leah Nowey]

Level 1

Power 47 [Offense: 23] [Defense: 24]

Skill: Moogi

I looked at my Display while munching on a granola bar. It was happening slowly, but I was growing stronger. I still haven't leveled up, but my Power was increasing bit by bit.

I no longer wasted my time looking for the smallest and weakest monsters to practice. I killed countless goblins and ogres on the second and third floors. Many of these days, I killed so many beasts that I was soaked in their blood by the time I left the Door.

To my pleasure, the number of gems I obtained increased day by day, and it wasn't long before I was able to cut my hours at Uncle Bob's stupid restaurant.

"Gomi, open your Display too. Let's have a look."

"Okidoki."

[Unknown]

Level 8

Power 26 [Offense: 16] [Defense: 10]

Skill: Weaponization

"Hmm... I think we guessed it right." I commented, doing a quick calculation in my head.

My Power value was increasing by the exact amount of Gomi's Power number. At first, we thought it was just a coincidence, but it was pretty obvious now. Unfortunately, my level didn't increase along with Gomi's, but I knew better than to be greedy.

It seemed that Gomi was considered to be a part of me. We were basically one as far as the Door was concerned. But every time I left this dimension, I was reminded that Gomi wasn't really mine. I was forced to leave her behind, which was something I found very hard to understand.

It also didn't help that I got stressed out every time I walked back inside, fearing that she might not materialize and I would lose her forever.

I have been taking my time training here on the fourth floor where the main inhabitants were trolls.

The trolls were about the same size as the ogres, but their upper bodies had quite a bit more hair. They reminded me of a bigfoot. Their ears and feet were pointier and bigger, which gave them better hearing and stability. One major difference between the trolls from the other monsters so far was that they carried a weapon. They wilded a giant stick with sharp teeth-like structures on both ends.

Oh, and don't forget the loincloth, of course.

Picking up a palm-sized red gem that was tinged with a slight orange hue, I asked Gomi who was in her sword form in my right hand.

"Hey, so you were saying that there are other Moogies like you out there?"

I made sure to keep my voice quiet because I saw several Rhombics walking nearby. Not too long ago, an embarrassing incident occurred from which I learned that Gomi was invisible to everyone except for me.

Because I have been talking to her openly while roaming inside the Door, I was apparently known as the crazy girl who likes to talk to herself. Ever since I found out about this, I have been trying to be very careful not to talk to Gomi if anyone was around.

A faint glow transformed her into her baby form.

"I think so. I don't know where they are, but you gotta find them. You just have to. They need to be with us."

I noticed the disoriented look on her face again. It was the one that always seemed to appear whenever she tried to remember something she couldn't. I've learned that it wasn't a good idea to press her when she was like this. It was only going to confuse and agitate her even more.

So far, whatever she could remember mostly turned out to be true. So I believed her that there were others like her out there. I agreed with her that I should find them. I, the weakest Rhombic who couldn't climb a single floor for four whole months, was able to get to the fourth floor in mere weeks all because of a single Moogi. I was growing stronger, but if I could find more like Gomi...

There was no end to what I could become.

Not too far away, I saw a tiny troll strolling by. I have been battling much bigger monsters lately, but I never liked to discriminate against the small guys. A monster was a monster. I needed as much experience as I could, and even the smallest gem still could still fetch me a few bucks.

Ta da da da!

I ran toward it, the thick air hitting my face in the most pleasant way.

Crack!

Using the back of Gomi's handle, I smashed into the troll's face.

This monster was short enough that it required me to jump only a short height to reach its ugly face. The troll groaned, but I knew it wouldn't be enough to stop it. I changed my grasp around Gomi a little before slicing the monster's neck using the backside of the blade. Because she was a double-edged sword, both sides equally sharp, I heard the rewarding thud when the troll's head fell to the ground.

"That was a good one!"

Turning into her baby form in an instant, Gomi yelled while giving me a thumbs up. I nodded toward her, and waited for the troll to transform into a gem.

While hunting, I always tried to empty my mind and focus. But lately, I have been finding this task very difficult. The biggest worry I had at the moment was what will happen when I reached the 10th floor.

I was certainly grateful that it was no longer "if" but "when". Based on how things were going, I felt assured that someday, however long this might be, I will succeed in reaching the 10th floor.

But when I do...

Will I be able to find someone who would be willing to pair up with me?

I was pretty sure I was still known as that puny half-Rhombic who was so far behind her classmates. And now, I was probably also called the crazy girl who talks to herself.

So who would want to work with me? Even I wouldn't want to pair up with someone like me.

"Someone's coming!" Gomi's head perked up.

"What? A monster?"

I jerked and turned around when Gomi gave me a heads-up. I was expecting to see another troll skulking around, but no.

"You're Leah nowey, right? I'm Ryder Reece, and I was assigned to help you."

That was how I met the infamous Ryder Reece.