27

(This was the original prologue but I switched it around.)

Leviathan Clark, the President of the Rhombic Alliance Association, sat behind his desk and quietly watched the young man standing in front of him.

They were in his private office, a spacious and elegant room that was tastefully furnished. Although he was only sitting on your average office chair, Leviathan looked majestic as if he was seated on some extravagant throne.

The tension was palpable in the air. It was obvious this was not a comfortable situation, and based on their stances, it appeared that the tall and well-built young man, Ryder, was in trouble.

It was impossible to tell how long they had suffered this awkward silence. It was Ryder who looked impatient, but his innate stubbornness was clearly preventing him from speaking first.

Finally with a resigned sigh, Leviathan asked, "So what is it that you want me to do? This was your third time caught hunting alone, wasn't it?"

"Yes, but I was perfectly safe! You know this, President! I..."

Ryder's angry protest was cut short by Leviathan's baritone voice.

"It was the 84th floor too, wasn't it?

With nonchalant shrug, Ryder argued, "I'm not some weakling who needs to be babysat all the time."

This had been the same excuse Ryder used for the last two times he was caught hunting alone inside the Door. The rule clearly stated that the monster-fighting hunters, the Rhombics, must not hunt alone on the floors higher than the 10th floor.

Although it was encouraged that they hunt in groups for their own safety, most Rhombics chose to work in pairs.

Of course, it appeared that Ryder liked to hunt solo.

It was rare to see the president of Rhombic Alliance Association, RAC for short, to show impatience. He was a beautiful man with an even more beautiful control over his emotions. But today, he seemed to have reached his limit.

"Ryder, I admit that you are one of the finest Rhombics we have. You're strong, and you're growing at an incredible rate, especially for someone who hadn't been a Rhombic as long as some others. But that doesn't mean you're above the rules."

Ryder's lips twitched, ready to argue his case just like the last two times he got in trouble.

But Leviathan refused to be indulgent this time. He raised his long pale finger and continued, "That's enough. I am only concerned for your safety. I realize that you feel impatient because Valiant and his pair have reached the 90th floor recently, but..."

His face crumpling in protest, Ryder opened his mouth again only to be stopped by Leviathan.

"But that's not an excuse. I must say that I am aghast to hear you insinuate that the other Rhombics are 'weaklings' because they follow the rules and hunt in pairs. I'm done with you endangering yourself like this. My decision is final."

Ryder's whole body, even his dark golden hair, tensed with many emotions. There was no doubt he was furious, but it seemed that resignation appeared in his willful blue eyes.

Leviathan wasn't surprised to see this young hunter accept his decision rather quickly. Although Ryder could be stubborn and arrogant like the way he was a moment ago, he was generally easy-going and well-liked by everyone.

"So you're sticking with the three-month ban?" asked Ryder.

Being prevented from entering the Door for the next three months was going to put him far behind. He had only reached the mid 80s floor, which meant that he had no time to waste.

"Yes, but I do have some good news for you. Virpal, our CIO, came up with an idea that might help you and another Rhombic."

"What is it?"

"There is this newly marked Rhombic. Her name is Leah Nowey, and if you can help her, we might be willing to reduce your sentence."