14

"What the hell!" I shrieked as I looked inside the box.

I couldn't believe what I saw. This was not what I had expected, and it certainly was something that was never mentioned by anyone as a possibility.

What did this mean?

The sword smirked and muttered, "I told you you won't be able to see anything inside. You should've listened to me and let me put your hand back on. Then, you wouldn't still be single-handedly stuck here. Get it? Single-handedly?"

"What are you talking about? You never told me it was going to be empty!" I yelled.

I was confused and furious, but most importantly, I was out of time. I didn't have the luxury to ask more questions and get even angrier.

I couldn't believe I was still alive let alone run, but I did.

"Do it! Do it now, Sword!" I screamed as I rushed to pick up my hand on the ground.

I begged, "Put this back on!"

"Didn't I tell you my name is Gomi?"

The sword grumbled, but at the same time, it shook lightly. Within a blink of an eye, the sword vanished from my hand and the baby wearing the monster costume reappeared.

Fwoosh!

Suddenly, my amputated and muck-covered left hand began glowing. I vaguely wondered if I should have at least wiped it clean, but it was too late now. I saw that the severed end of my left arm was glowing the same way, so I slowly brought the two together.

A familiar and intimate warmth spread from my left wrist to my entire body.

***

Squeeze.

I clenched and unclenched my left-hand several times and find that it was working perfectly. It looked as if nothing had happened; the reattachment was flawless. This wasn't something even the most expensive healing potion or the Supports with powerful healing abilities could accomplish, so I'm sure you can understand my shock and awe.

The only thing that could achieve something like this was the Miracle Potion. In fact, what Gomi did for me wasn't simply put my hand back on. It appeared that all of the ghastly wounds I suffered from the test were healed as well. It was like I bathed in a tub full of healing potions.

"Ahem!"

I was still gaping at my own body when I heard Gomi clear her throat for my attention. It was strange to hear a baby voice making such a disapproving noise.

Assuming that she wanted me to thank her again, I murmured, "Hey, thanks again! I can't believe you did this."

Gomi shook her head and replied, "No, not that! Though you're always welcome to appreciate me anytime! I gotta say that it's so nice to see a well-mannered young woman! Anyway, since you're feeling better, I think we should get going."

She pointed her chin at the ground a few feet away from us. I turned to see a shiny red gem on the ground. It had to be from the dead goblin, so I walked over to pick it up. As expected, it was much bigger than anything I have ever earned in my life. This was enough to remind me that the goblin I managed to kill was a powerful one.

I was a tiny bit impressed with myself, but I knew I shouldn't have. Not that I was complaining, but I basically cheated to pass this test. I didn't intend to, and I still had no idea how this baby appeared out of the blue, but it didn't change the fact that I didn't pass it on my own.

After putting the gem in my backpack, I headed back toward the box that was supposed to contain the Gift. I hadn't noticed it before, but I now saw that it was heavily bejeweled.