40

I couldn't hide my disbelief as I stared at him. His remark was unexpected and ridiculous.

"What are you talking about?" I demanded. "I told you this test was weird. It wasn't easy at all, which is why I got hurt a little. But I still passed, didn't I?"

I don't know why I felt so upset and disappointed. Ryder was just my temporary trainer and nothing more. He was a nobody who was going to disappear from my life soon enough.

Someone I was never going to see again.

So all I had to do was just ignore him. Yet... I couldn't help feeling discouraged as if I had failed him. It was unpleasant to discover that perhaps I was subconsciously looking for his approval.

I couldn't read what Ryder must be thinking, but I could tell that it was nothing good.

"You didn't get hurt 'just a little'. You were bleeding all over the place, Leah, and this was just a fifth-floor test. So how are you going to survive in the Door as you go up higher? You know it's only going to get harder."

His concern appeared to be unfeigned, which distressed me even more. His words rang true because it was the very same fear I had since the day I first saw my Display. I had to constantly battle my doubts about my own ability as a Rhombic.

But one thing he didn't know was how I was growing stronger. I haven't had the chance to check my Display now, but I was sure I was a little closer to achieving Power 100. Once I did, I was going to be just like all the other Rhombics.

The necklace around my neck felt a little warmer as if Gomi was letting me know she was with me.

"That isn't your worry, Ryder." I tried to keep my voice calm. "I appreciate what you're saying, but this is my choice."

"But you're just not cut out for this life...!"

"You can't tell me what to do." I know I sounded like a rebellious teenager arguing with her mom, but this was a fact. He may have been some bit shot Rhombic, and perhaps he was right about this. But he still had no right to tell me what to do with my life.

He opened his mouth, but before he could say anything else, I shut him down.

"If you don't feel comfortable about it, you don't have to help me anymore, Ryder. That is your choice."

Ryder muttered, "Leah..."

Clearly, there was so much more he wanted to say to me. But this boy didn't know what I had to go through to get this far. He didn't know why I had to do this.

When I looked straight into his eyes, unwilling to budge, he sighed eventually.

"Drink the potion then at least," Ryder said in resignation.

This time, I brought the bottle to my lips obediently. I have agitated him enough for one day, so if drinking this free liquid gold would make him feel better, why not.

Instantly feeling even more restored, I glanced at him and stood up. This time, Ryder didn't stop me, and I let him help me. I felt steady and strong, and... a little guilty.

I could guess what must really be bothering him, so even though this wasn't my fault, I offered an apology.

"Listen, I'm sorry I'm not as strong as you thought. I know you wanted to get me through the 10th floor a lot quicker than this. So... maybe you should go back to the RAC and tell them that you would rather take the three-month ban..."

"No." Ryder shook his head adamantly. "That's not necessary. I'm going to help you, and I will make sure you reach that damn 10th floor as I promised. But you need to promise..."

He gave me another look of hesitation mixed with determination. He was clearly upset because he realized he picked the wrong option by choosing me, but this wasn't my fault. I warned him from the beginning, didn't I?

However, I had to admit that I was glad he decided to keep our deal. Based on how I fared just now in the fifth-floor test, I agreed with him that I needed to be better. Though I boldly claimed I wasn't going to quit, I wasn't as brave as I sounded. I meant what I said, but I was going to take my time so that when I took the tenth-floor test, I was better prepared.

And for this, I needed Ryder's help.

"You need to promise that you'll do exactly as I say," he demanded. His tone let me know that this wasn't up for a discussion, and I was okay with that.

"Alright, Boss." I gave him a playful smile to lighten the mood, but he continued to look grim.

Boy, how long was he going to continue sulking about this?

We finally began walking toward the Door to leave. I asked Ryder to leave first so I could have a look at my Display in private and try to figure out what the deal is with Gomi, but he insisted on leaving the Door together.

"I'm not having you be killed by some random fifth-floor monsters after all you've gone through," he insisted. As a rule, we have previously decided we will not leave together in case someone managed to take photos of us together. Ryder was a celebrity, and neither of us wanted any kind of scandal.

But the look he gave me told me that bringing this up would be a bad idea. I decided that I'll just have to check everything tomorrow.

Both of us remained quiet. I glanced at him and saw that he probably wasn't in the mood to be talking. Good, because I had a lot to sort out in my mind too.

This new necklace, which I think contained Gomi, had to be the Gift for passing the fifth-floor test. I didn't know what this meant and how useful this was going to be, but maybe it was a good thing that I didn't get another stupid memory as a Gift.

"Ugh... All those gems...," I whispered, saddened by not having the opportunity to collect the countless gems from the test. They were tiny, but there were so many of them. They could have gotten me a hefty sum of money.

Like a goldfish with a three-second memory, I forgot all about the fact I almost died. Instead, I mourned the loss of all those precious stones.

"What gems?" asked Ryder, his excellent ears picking up my mumble.

I shrugged. "There were so many gems from the dead gnomes, and I didn't get the chance to take them. It's a shame."

Ryder gave me an incredulous look. Shaking his head, he muttered, "There is something very wrong with you, Nowey."

"You have no idea," I quipped, earning myself another disapproving glare.