39

Just before hysteria hit me, I felt something warm around my neck. I quickly reached up to find a necklace, and to my confusion, I felt Gomi's presence inside.

'Gomi...? Is that you?' I asked silently.

I never wore necklaces, and I certainly didn't wear anything when I entered the test chamber. This was something very new.

I looked down to study the necklace, which was made of a dark-colored material. At first, I thought it was a chain, but its smoothness indicated that it was made from a single piece of metal. It looked bronze and it didn't hold any pendants or charms. It was definitely not gold or silver, yet it was soft and flexible.

The necklace was basic and plain, but it buzzed with incredible and familiar energy against my skin.

"Is that the Gift you got from the test?"

Ryder's voice gave me a jolt.

I had forgotten that he was next to me for a moment. He looked down at me, concern still etched on his face.

I continued to touch the necklace to reassure myself. Gomi still hasn't responded yet, but her energy was strong inside this jewelry. I didn't know what had happened, but I was certain Gomi was still with me.

There was nothing I could do at the moment except wait for her.

"I think... Ugh!"

I jumped when I felt something cool and wet on my leg. I turned quickly to see Ryder pouring another bottle of healing potion over me.

"You should drink one too in case of any internal damages. I'm pretty sure you just suffered from superficial wounds, but you can never be too careful," Ryder explained.

The pleasant, almost ticklish, sensation covered my leg. I had never used the healing potion before, so I stared in wonder before finally grasping the situation.

I grabbed his hand and yelled, "Don't! Stop!"

"What's wrong? Does it hurt? It'll get better in..."

"No, not that! I feel fine, so I don't need anymore." I looked around to quickly count the empty bottles around me. Dammit, why did he have to use so many? My internal calculator quickly began adding up the cost of these bottles of expensive liquid gold.

I hated owing people, and unfortunately, this was going to cost me a small fortune.

I sighed. "...I'll pay you back for these when I get a chance. It might take a while though, so don't expect the money too soon. Honestly, you shouldn't have used them..."

"What the hell are you talking about?" Ryder seemed flabbergasted. "You think I'm going to make you pay for them? Gees, Nowey. You must really think I'm a total asshole, huh?"

He gave me a hurt look, but it wasn't enough to make me feel bad.

"I know you have to say that, and I'm sure this might not be worth much to you. But it is to me, and I don't want to owe you anything, so..."

"Leah, Leah. Stop." Ryder grabbed my hands when I tried to talk over him. "Don't worry about the potions, okay? I thought you were dead, and... It's no big deal."

Well, he must have been really frightened.

No smirks or stupid jokes.

To my surprise, Ryder seemed genuinely concerned. Hmm, my condition must have been much worse than I thought.

Just what happened at the end of that test?

I decided to give up on this argument quickly. Hey, he used the potions without asking me, so it was his fault, right?

As you can see, as much as I hated owing people, I was also excellent at rationalizing myself.

"...Alright, well... Thanks. Anyway, I should be going now..." I tried to stand up. I needed to be alone to figure things out about Gomi. I also wanted to have a look at my Display.

"Drink this first."

Suddenly, Ryder presented a new bottle of healing potion to my face. Just how many bottles was he carrying around? He only had a small shoulder bag, and I couldn't understand where all of these bottles were coming from.

"I feel fine," I replied, and I meant it. It was probably thanks to all the potions he poured over me because although I felt a little weak, I did feel pretty good.

I attempted to stand up again, but he was having none of it. Ryder picked up my hand and made me hold the bottle.

"You're not going anywhere until you drink it! Now, Nowey," he yelled.

A determined look appeared on his face as he stubbornly pushed the bottle toward me. I have never seen him look this serious, so I was a little taken aback. Why was he obsessing about me drinking this potion?

I just stared at him, unable to understand his vehement reaction. Sure I got hurt, but I was alive, right? And he used a bathtub of healing potions on me, so I felt great.

When I remained quiet, still awkwardly holding the bottle in my hand, Ryder muttered, "I should've known you're too fragile... Dammit, I'm sorry. This is my fault."

"What are you talking about now?" I frowned. "How is this your fault?"

He was still kneeling beside me looking both mulish and unsettled.

"Leah, I think you should stop. Being a Rhombic is too dangerous for you."