28

It made sense that I was a Support.

The Leads were stronger, more aggressive, and generally cooler. There was even a study from some random university that proved that the Leads were better looking too. I don't know what school would waste money and effort to do such research, but it was published and it received a fair bit of attention.

So like I said, it made sense that I was a Support. This was further confirmed by my higher Defense level too, although the values fluctuated regularly.

Personally, I enjoyed the offense part of the hunt more. It was so thrilling to show overt strength and slay my enemy. But the rules were rules; I was a Support, so I needed to specialize in defense and healing skills.

All Rhombics should know how to attack, of course, and they did. This was especially important until reaching the 10th floor because the lower floor tests didn't distinguish the Rhombics as Leads or Supports yet.

But for long-term success as a Support, I knew I should really focus on my defense or else, I was never going to be chosen by a Lead as a partner.

"Get your barrier up, Nowey! I know you can make a stronger shield than that!" Ryder shouted. He was standing a few steps ahead of me while facing a large bleeding troll.

I focused my energy to visualize a giant brick wall, thick and tall enough to withstand the troll's attack. In my right hand, I held Gomi in her sword form, but for this fight, she was to remain inactive.

It was a few days ago when Ryder visited me in the Door. I begrudgingly accepted his help, making it clear that it was going to be on a trial basis. He seemed happy enough with the arrangement, probably thinking I had "fallen" for his charms.

I think he would have been surprised to learn that the more charming a guy acted, the more annoyed I tended to become with the said guy. But it turned out that I was very much mistaken. I didn't have to worry about him being "too nice".

Not at all, because after the first day, he dropped his pretense.

I liked using my weapons to take charge of the battle rather than stay behind to "support" someone else. But after assessing my skills by watching me fight a few trolls, Ryder announced that I needed to improve my Defense ability.

Even though I knew he was right, I still protested.

"But I want to learn how to fight better first. Like the way you were..."

"Stop it right there. Let's get real. Neither of us wants to waste time, right? I saw you hunt, and you have zero defense technique. Do you deny it?"

"No, but..."

"And don't forget that Support is just as important as the Leads. You know..."

When Ryder began giving me the familiar speech the RAC liked to give, I groaned. I was so sick of hearing this "Support is important too" crab.

"Don't throw that stupid slogan at me." I stopped him. "Come on, teach me how to fight."

Ryder rolled his eyes. "I'm not throwing anything at you. I'm just being realistic. I thought you were a practical girl, Nowey."

I gave him an annoyed look, but I knew he was right. When I didn't argue, Ryder continued, "Even a Lead needs to know how to protect himself and his pair. I'm not saying you need to only know the defense skills because you're a Support. You need to know both, and right now, you don't even know how to protect yourself at all. All you did was just swing your sword the whole time while you hunted."

Shaking his head, Ryder added, "That's not the right way to do it, especially when you're fighting alone. Think long term, Leah. I know you want to eat the dessert, but you gotta eat your spinach first. And right now, you have a whole table full of spinaches you need to finish."

I shook my head at his ridiculous metaphor. I retorted, "You're being awfully bossy for someone who needs me. Shouldn't you be more accommodating?"

When he didn't even blink, I tried to sound a little more menacing. "You know... I can refuse your help any time, and you'll have to go back to finishing your three-month ban."

"I would've faked niceness if you were in a better state." He scoffed. "But after seeing you fight, I don't think I have to grovel. You need me just as much as I need you, Leah Nowey. So let's just get over it and get this done."

Ryder was being blunt, and in a strange way, I kinda liked it this way. He wasn't saying what I wanted to hear. No, not even close. But he was telling the honest truth, and though I would never admit it, I felt appreciative.

That was the first day we met. It has only been a few days of learning to provide "support" for him, and I was learning pretty fast.

Guess I really was a Support after all.

I was behind him at the moment, trying my hardest to create a protective wall around us. He still hasn't gotten around to teaching me how to heal, which was another of Support's roles I was terrible at. But Ryder explained that I should concentrate on the defensive roll first.

At least we agreed on one thing.

"Okay, it's going to come at us at any second now. This time, I'm not going to attack it. I'm just going to stand here, and I'll trust you to protect me. Got it? You gotta have my back, Nowey!"

Ryder sounded excited as he glanced at me again. It felt like he was enjoying this too much as if he was a thrill seeker with a death wish. During this entire hunt, he didn't once take out his main weapon or use his fire skill. Even now, he stood weaponless, his spear and his dagger sheathed securely on him.

My brows furrowed, very much concerned about this unrealistic plan. I had learned to form half-decent barriers only recently, and they were still paper thin.

So how the heck was it supposed to withstand a charging troll?

I shook my head, thinking to myself that I have been shaking my head way too often since I met Ryder. I objected, "Don't joke around. You know my shield isn't going to be strong enough."

"Well, then I guess my death will be in your hand, Nowey," said the boy clearly on a suicide mission.

I knew this wasn't going to work. Obviously, this was some bullshit teaching tactic. But if he thought this was going to be some great teaching moment where I actually pull it off, he was going to be very disappointed.

Even Gomi, in her sword form, whispered to me, "That boy isn't very bright, is he?"

"Hush!" I whispered back quickly. I had already warned Gomi more than once not to speak when there were other people around. I was already the weakling and the crazy one who liked to talk to herself. If people heard Gomi's voice around me, I was going to get another unwanted nickname.

Probably the "girl who's being haunted".

Turning my attention back to Ryder, I muttered, "Fine. Suit yourself. If you're into getting pulverized, that's your problem."

He was a powerful Rhombic, the strongest I've ever seen, so I wasn't worried about him at all. Whatever happened, he was going to be fine.

"Mwerrrrk!" The troll roared, and it began galloping toward us. Earlier, Ryder had wounded its leg with a dagger, so it had to be furious.

Thud, thud, thud, thud.

The troll ran faster and faster, and I knew the exact moment it broke through my barrier.

My shield began about 20 feet ahead of Ryder, and its circumference was just big enough to include the both of us. But the moment the monster took a step inside, my barrier vaporized into thin air. I stared, expecting Ruder to have his spear out by now or at least moved aside. I had my hand tight around Gomi, ready to finish the troll off if it got close enough to me.

But to my surprise, Ryder was still standing in the exact same spot as weaponless as a newborn puppy.

Just another step or two and the troll was going to crash into him.

Why isn't he moving...? Why...?

"Ryder!" I screamed.