6

"So... that's what my Power value is at the moment. It's 10:11, which makes the total only 21. Neither my Level nor my Power have changed since the beginning."

The CIO Virpal Bansal's facial expression didn't change a bit when I finished my explanation. For a moment, I wasn't sure if she even heard me.

I couldn't tell if this was a good thing or not. Was she calm because she thought this wasn't a big deal, or was she so troubled by what I said that she didn't know what to think?

Virpal, once a powerful Rhombic herself, was a woman in her mid 30s. Smooth black hair and matching eyes made her a striking beauty. Her sturdy stature indicated that she was a strong lady who continues to work out diligently. It was even rumored that Virpal Bansal still retained some, if not most, of her power despite her age.

After a brief silence, Virpal replied, "Hmm... I see. I must say that this is indeed very unusual."

A perplexed look finally appeared on Virpal's face, but I had a sneaking suspicion that it wasn't just what I just told her that surprised the woman.

Earlier when I first entered her office, I saw a distinct recognition in her eyes. Various emotions seemed to cross her face, but I couldn't tell what they were. I was fairly certain she knew me, which was odd since I've never met this woman before.

Despite her telling reaction, Virpal introduced herself to me and pretended ignorance. For a brief moment, I considered confronting her about it, but it didn't seem like a smart idea. Because Virpal acted so naturally after her initial reaction, I began to doubt my assessment. I decided that it was very possible that I just imagined it.

I was suspicious by nature after all.

Looking at her computer, Virpal continued, "All of your other classmates have been progressing normally, so I can understand why you must be concerned."

"Have you seen something like this before, Ma'am? Do you think I'll eventually reach the normal Power value if... if I keep working hard?"

I tried to keep desperation out of my voice, but I was struggling. It had been a draining past few months, and this was my last attempt at saving my career.

In a way, I felt a little relieved to finally be telling someone about my problem. Virpal appeared to be very calm, which helped me feel better. Some might have considered her quietness uncaring, but for some unknown reason, I could feel that Virpal wanted to help me.

The CIO shook her head and replied, "No, no Rhombic that I know of has ever had a total Power value that didn't equal 100. I guess this makes you very unique, Leah."

Well, whoop-de-doo, lucky me.

Virpal wasn't being sarcastic, but her comment still managed to plunge a dagger in my heart. I never asked to be unique, at least not like this.

"Leah... This is hard for me to say, because it looks like you really want to be a Rhombic, but... And I hope you understand that I'm only saying this because I want what's best for you."

Virpal seemed to suddenly become hesitant. I knew very well that "This is hard for me to say" was a code for "Get ready for some real good spanking".

I felt my body clench, no pun intended.

"I have been doing this for many years, and I can tell you that I am very good at judging a Rhombic's potential. Leah, you... I don't think this is the right path for you. Based on what you told me, you are putting yourself in grave danger every time you enter the Door. I think you know this too."