25

Note: Part of this scene is in the NEW UPDATED Prologue, so if you missed that, please refer to it!

***

I found it absurd that Ryder Reece introduced himself.

It was like Brad Pitt coming up to you and saying, "Hey, you probably have no idea who I am, so let me introduce myself. I'm Brad Pitt."

"...Hi," I replied, trying a marvelous job of hiding my shock. I couldn't believe he was actually here. I realized that he must be in a really desperate situation.

I have obviously seen him on TV before. Half the time, Ryder lived in the US, so he mostly went through the Door in New York. But it didn't matter which Door you entered since all the Doors led you to the same dimension, just in different corners of it.

Because Ryder Reece was a Canadian citizen, he was governed by the Canadian RAC. But no matter which RAC he belonged to, his penalty would have been about the same.

"Listen, I already refused the offer. Didn't you get the message from RAC?"

I asked, knowing that this was a bit of a fib. Technically, I told Virpal I'll think about it. But I had already made up my mind that I was going to do this alone.

Getting help from Ryder had to be a bad idea. To be honest, I didn't think a popular jock like him would make a good teacher either.

"Yeah, I did, but... I thought I could meet you in person and try to change your mind. You see, I'm pretty good inside the Door, so I can..."

I raised my hand to interrupt him. Virpal might have been able to intimidate me, but not this guy.

"Listen, Ryder Reece, I know who you are, and I know you're 'pretty good'. But I really don't need your help. I can do this on my own, so thank you for your offer, but no thank you."

I glanced at Gomi in her baby form. She was standing next to me on my right, obviously invisible to everyone except me. I have already told her about this situation with the RAC and Ryder Reece, and we both came to the same conclusion that they were trying to use me.

The world needed every powerful Rhombics they had. This was especially the case now because many odd things have been happening lately. Unusually powerful Pockets have popped out in different places, and there have been reports of strange behaviors from the monsters inside the Door.

Not only did I get the Rhombics Daily newsletters through my email, but these incidences were also being talked about on every TV channel.

The RAC had to be in a difficult position. Being a governing body of the superhumans, the RAC had to show its strength by being consistent and strict. RAC had actually been too lenient with Ryder Reece already. So this three-month ban was long overdue.

But on the other hand, there was no way of knowing when dangerous Pockets might appear suddenly in North America, just as they did in London recently. Ryder wasn't the only powerful Rhombic around, and he certainly wasn't the strongest either. But what happened in London had taught us that a single pair of Rhombics wasn't going to be enough for certain Pockets anymore.

So what if multiple Pockets with high-floor monsters popped up all at once? No one was panicking yet, but I could understand why the RAC would want to lift Ryder Reece's ban as quickly as possible. They had to want all Rhombics available and ready in case of an emergency.

I believed this is where I come into play.

The poor girl who couldn't even reach the 10th-floor months after being marked

In their eyes, I'm sure I looked bad enough to warrant official help, but still close enough to the 10th floor that I would be a good case to reduce Ryder's sentence.

Well, I wasn't ready to be someone's charity case. I had no doubt that I will eventually reach the 10th floor, and I didn't want this golden boy to get the credit for it.

I was just about to refuse him and leave when suddenly, he sucker punched me.

"I know you were marked months ago, but isn't it true that you still haven't even reached the 10th floor...?"

Ahh, there it is.

Yes, this was the truth, but it still stung a little because of the pity in his eyes. I know very well what I am and what I'm not, so I didn't need him to tell me.

"Pwerrrrk!"

It was then that a troll suddenly appeared to my left. An unremarkable-looking monster waved its sharp stick at us like a grandma with her rolling pin at unruly grandchildren. It was time to get back to work, so I was about to summon Gomi when Ryder blocked me.

Stepping closer toward the monster, he flashed me a boyish grin that probably worked magic on a lot of the girls.

"Let me show you what I can do, Nowey. I'm gonna change your mind."

***

"Aflame!" Ryder yelled, causing his spear to become covered in blue flame.

The long black handle of his weapon was surprisingly unadorned. Oftentimes, many Rhombics liked to use extravagant weapons decorated with rare gems. But this spear was smooth with only three thin silver bands equally spaced out at the shank. It looked like the blade was made of two different metals, one dark in the middle, and one much lighter silver encircling the outer edges. In the very center were four ovals aligned straight up toward the tip, one smaller than the next.

I have heard of Ryder's Skill. It was the ability to turn any weapon, even a rock, into a burning killing machine. His body tensed, and I could see the muscles on his body flexing in anticipation.

I didn't like how he took over the battle like he was here to "rescue" poor old me. But I was also curious to see him fight. I have never watched any decent Rhombics in action before because I was only on the fourth floor so far.

"You probably already know that the neck is the weak spot in most monsters, right? At least I'm sure that's what you've been told to focus on."

He was already trying to teach me. I'm not sure if he saw me roll my eyes, but he continued.

"What people always forget to emphasize is that there are several other spots that might be easier to reach."

The troll seemed to be getting angrier because its nostrils flared noticeably. I never understood why the monsters in the Door were always so angry when they saw us.

Before I got Gomi, I often used to hide and watch the bigger ones so I wouldn't get mauled by them. At the time, what I noticed was that they looked calm when alone or with their own kind.

My thought was interrupted when the troll charged toward Ryder.

Thud, thud, thud thud.

It wasn't an overly big troll, but even the smallest troll wasn't something to underestimate. This was a fast one, and it got closer and closer at an alarming rate.

Yet... Ryder wasn't moving. All he did was continue to hold his burning spear like a statue. I had to force myself from yelling, "There is a troll charing toward you, you moron!"

His voice laced with an ego the size of the troll, Ryder added,

"The easiest place to attack is actually its head!"

The troll was only a few steps away from him when I saw him jump.