Chapter 7 - Ruby Jane POV

I'm in so much pain

And I'm so . . confused, and hurt, and scared.

I feel the last drops of saliva dry up in my throat as I stare through the window of my old cabin.

An aching feeling rises as I watch my eyes twitch in the silence. Continuous.

It shouldn't be, I'm older now, but it is.

My fists tense at the feeling, as my eyes slam shut allowing the burning to rise to my brain. Waves of piercing, knot like sensations flood my stomach as his devilish grin fills my thoughts.

He can't find me here

Opening up my eyes, the once bright undertones of red living eyes, now reduced to dull twinges of hues, begin to water as I repeat the words once more- out loud.

He can't find me here

--

Walking through the lavish green trees. the cedar branches link together like a mass of chartreuse and pine umbrellas, decorating the almost offensively dull background of sticks, mud and rocks that litter the ground beneath my feet.

I come to a standstill as I spot Kuku running up to me, eyes full of adventure and discovery.  A small smile touches my lips as the aching feeling subsides, and I reach down to stroke the swamp rabbits soft fur, indulging in the warmth and comfort he provides so casually.

I place him down carefully, still petting him as I reach into my sock, pulling out a small bag of dried berries that I save specifically for him. I feed him a couple, watching as he happily eats the fruits before he brushes past my leg, hopping away to find something else to do before nightfall.

The second he leaves, the aching comes back, in full throttle.  It comes back with such force that I don't think it ever left me.

Staring ahead, at no where in particular, I start to walk- with no destination in mind either.

I pass a collection of trees, when the I notice a peculiar looking leaf passes my face- the shape is so strange that I turn my head to look at it more, when I'm met with the most beautiful face.

The face of the girl I ruined.

Her doe pecan tinted eyes widen as she looks into my dark, decrepit red and black ones. Gingerbread glossed hair flows gently in the wind as pink glazed lips part gently before closing.

I can smell her fear.

I can hear the way her heart races, the way it abnormally skips beats.

Mustering up the strength, I slowly raise my hand to the side of her face, gently touching her cheek, the smooth feeling fighting the ache in my body

I try to offer what I hope to be an apologetic smile as I look into her eyes- trying to find myself

"You've grown up so well, so beautiful."

I fight back the tears that threaten to rise in my eyes when an image of her mother flashes through my brain.

They look just like each other.

Before I can say anything else, though, I doubt I would've, a scrawny boy runs past me- calling out to Lisa.

Swiftly dropping my hand from her cheek, I turn to direction I originally set out for- the aching back again- alongside the sharp prickles of tears as I walk away, the strain in my lungs feeling almost stagnant.

He can't find me here.

a/n i said double update and my dumbass didn't even publish it :/ - i literally only remembered cuz someone reminded me