Chapter 8- 📞dormire sveglio finale💋

Highly recommend listening to this song while reading the chapter:

Doppio's vision started to blur, Donatella slowly fading as he saw the island disappear slowly as well.

"I... What's going on? You're falling away from me?" He begins to panic, his hands moving right through her body as if she was a ghost. He began to sweat, grimacing. "I... I can't have you leave me, not now!" He tried to grab her closer, but he was unable to.

"...Doppio, it's okay," She whispered softly. "Just remember what I told you, okay? It's up to you to decide Trish's future. Her life is in your hands," The brunette woman starts fading more and more, Doppio crying as he tries to hold her close to him. His attempts are helpless.

"Please, I need you...!" Golden brown eyes start shining, coated in tears as they run down his cheeks. His sweater starts changing from the one he wore when he was younger to the modern one. He's fading out into reality, something he wishes to not do. "I need you!" He chokes on a sob helplessly, grasping onto his hair as he hears the familiar voice in his head again.

"I am no longer living, my dear," She frowns as she watches him, rain pouring hard onto the two's bodies. "I am afraid I cannot physically help you anymore, but I can tell you what to do. Visit a doctor and get the help that you need, please. I want you to be yourself again," She whispers softly, placing a hand on his cheek.

He shakes his head, more and more tears falling out of his eyes. "Please come back to me! I need you and Trish needs you!" He sobs brokenly, helplessly reaching out for his deceased wife's spirit.

"I'm sorry, Doppio," She frowns, her legs starting to fade out completely. "Please be happy for you. Find who you are in your heart again, and protect our daughter. Get rid of the man who uses you as a puppet and a mask. You are you. You are...," She watches as her hands and arms disappear.

"No, no.... NO!" Doppio screams in agony, crying helplessly. He knows he can't do anything, but it's difficult to let go of something he loves so much. "P-Please, I...," He falls to his knees, hugging himself. He started to feel alone again.

"...You are my beloved. Find your happiness for me. For our daughter," She closes her eyes, a singular hairpin dropping out of her hair.

Doppio picks the pin up in his hands, crying as he hugs it to his chest. "I'll try to find myself for you again, I really will," He cries, sniffling as he takes a closer look at it. It is a beautiful green jewel, reminding him of Trish's eyes. The entire island faded out to black, and the sound of rain left his head as well.

He felt something warm come over his face, a ray of sunshine coming in through his window. He felt the area around him, a hard, wooden floor. He looked next to his bed, to which the blankets were messily pulled over. He looked at the antique clock on his nightstand, it was about 8 A.M. The pink haired man placed a hand to his cheek, wet with tears. He took in a shaky breath, trying to comprehend if it was only a dream or something more.

He made his way to the bathroom and looked at himself in the mirror, the whites of his eyes reddened from crying. He took in a few breaths to try and calm himself. "I'll take it that it was a true message. I'm not going to let you down, darling," He stares at the wedding ring on his finger, one she picked out just for him. "...This ring is mine. And mine only," His eyebrows narrow, and he looks at himself in the mirror.

"Doppio. My strong, courageous Doppio. You aren't really going to listen to what that woman was trying to tell you, right? She died young for a reason. So that you and I could get our work done in peace without having to hide everything from her. Can't you see that this is the life that we are supposed to live?" The familiar, deep and enchanting voice comes in his head again.

"No... No, not again!" He held onto his head, falling back into his bathtub. "There is nothing in my head, there is nothing in my head, there is nothing in my head," He repeated, trying to wash the voices out.

"Doppio, listen to me. I am your boss, right? You simply need me to live. I am like a map to your life, always offering you guidance. All you had this morning was just a simple dream. You are overthinking it," Diavolo attempts to reassure the boy, but he shakes his head in response.

"No...," He whispers softly, getting out of the bathtub and retreats back to the mirror. "You are NOT my boss!" His usual sweet tone turns sour, and he shakes his head. "I am, I am the boss of me, not you! I am me! You've brainwashed me into thinking this way, and I will admit, I was dumb and I fell for it. But you are NOTHING to me anymore, nothing at all... SO GET OUT OF MY HEAD!" He screams.

Diavolo gasps. "Doppio. You are being silly, listen to me. This is the way that things are supposed to be. You're being ridicu-"

"No. I. Am. Not," He shakes his head in response. "Today is the day I finally realized that I have been spending the last six years of my life wrong. I don't need you, not at all. So this is goodbye, Diavolo...!" He hisses. "King Crimson...," He whispers darkly underneath his breath.

"Doppio, what are you doing?!" Diavolo gasps in shock.

"I am ridding of you. King Crimson, give me Epitaph and rid of the rest...!" He yells, and screams shortly afterwards. King Crimson removes Epitaph from his body, and only his arms remain soon after. The voices in his head had finally come to an end.

"Arrivederci...," ("Goodbye...,") He whispers shortly afterwards, looking at himself in the mirror. "Thank you, Donatella. It's now time that I change, too," He eyes an electric razor on his bathroom. Doppio takes out the braid in his hair, revealing soft and fluffy pink curls. He closes his eyes before he turns the razor on and starts cutting his hair. He took a look at his appearance before he smiled softly, much more content with himself now. He had short and soft, fluffy locks of hair now. He swept up the hair that had fallen onto the floor, throwing it into the garbage soon after.

"...Daddy?" Trish questioned, running over to him curiously. "You cut your hair!"

"It was time for a haircut, don't you think?" He smiled, picking her up in his arms. "Now let's go get some ice cream. I'm going to tell you all about your mother," He walked out of the front door shortly after.

[If any of you were wondering what Doppio looks like with his haircut, here he is!]