Familiar

As soon as everyone was ready to leave you loaded up into the car and Steve messaged Tony telling him we were leaving the compound and if he needed him to just call.

The seating arrangement had been the same as it was when you went to the farmers market the day before minus Loki whose place had been taken by Pietro.
You sat next in the middle seat yet and again leaning against Bucky's side.

All of the sudden you felt some pressure on your hand, quickly looking over in the direction of Peter you saw him holding you hand and focusing his attention forward with a blush coating his cheeks.

You smiled at his actions and squeezed his hand slightly making his head whip to the side looking at you with a surprised expression.

"You can hold my hand Peter. It's okay." You told him softly.
He gave a bright smile in return keeping his hand intertwined with yours.
"Is there anywhere you guys want to see?" Steve asked from the driver's seat.
"I wouldn't mind going around Brooklyn and seeing how much it's changed." Bucky said from his seat.
"Oh, I could show you around Queens one day or even today if we have the time." Peter turned to face Bucky.
"Sure Kid. We'll try and get there today, if not we can do it next weekend when you visit." Bucky told the young boy honestly.
"Awesome! I'll show Delmar's Deli too," Peter spoke excitedly.
"We'd love that Peter," you smiled softly.

As soon as Steve parked the car on the side of the road in Brooklyn his phone rang loudly throughout the air.

He stepped away for a moment to answer the phone call and gestured for the four of you to go on ahead of him.

"Should we find a barber first?" You turned to face Bucky.
"Why not." He said with a shrug before grabbing your hand and following behind Peter and Pietro.
"Can the two of you lead the way to a barber?" you called the boys up ahead.
"Yeah! I know this really cool old fashioned one," Peter said, picking up his pace and turning left at the corner.

Peter continued to move quickly before stopping in front of a small hole in the wall barber shop.

"This place feels familiar?" Bucky said, almost making it sound like a question then a statement.

Peter opened the door carefully and held it open for you and Bucky.
As you entered the small storefront the sound of a bell chimed through the air, making it feel like you had just taken a step back in time.

You looked around taking in your surroundings till you stopped on a certain picture that hung on the wall and a small plaque under it reading
"Brooklyn's Hero 1945 James Buchanan Barnes".
You studied the youthful face of your lover in his military uniform in the photo and couldn't help the smile growing on your face.

"Hey, Jamie. I think I know why this place feels familiar." You called over your shoulder and stepped out of the way for him to see the photo.

"Well I'll be damned! Brooklyn's hero returns!" A voice called from the door at the back of the building.

Bucky looked towards the voice and held an expression of surprise.
"Stan?" Bucky asked.
"No, That's my pops. I'm his son Lee. You may not remember me but I was the little boy that swept up the hair for my pops. " The elderly man said.
"I think I do." Bucky said.
"You here for a cut?" Lee asked, getting an apron for Bucky, not even waiting for an answer.
"Yeah, My girl said I had to get it styled." Bucky said with a boyish grin looking over at you.
You just gave him a look and jutted out your hip before sticking the tip of your tongue out as a way to tease him.
"I see. I was wondering who this pretty lady was." Lee said, laughing at the two of you interacting together.
"Yup, this is my dame Y/N. We met in Romania three years ago." Bucky spoke happily.
"It's lovely to meet you." Your accent seemed to show a bit more.
"Is that a British accent I hear or am I just old," Lee laughed and turned to get a small spray bottle.
"Indeed it is. Born and raised in Epsom then I moved to Romania," you spoke softly.
"I've only seen pictures of London like Big Ben the touristy landmarks," Lee said as he pushed Bucky to sit in a chair and buttoned the apron over him before he began spraying the water on Bucky's hair.

You could help but laugh cause the expression on Bucky's face made him look like a cat. He kept making a grossed out face whenever the water made any contact with his face.

"Oh Jamie, relax a little, please." You spoke softly trying to calm him down, noticing the grossed out expression had turned to one of discomfort.
He said nothing but reached over to hold your hand.

Lee continued to make light conversation between you and Bucky but more so with you taking note of how stiff Bucky's shoulders had become.

"You doing okay Mr. Barnes?" Lee asked stopping his actions.
"Yeah, Just a big step for me and please call me Bucky." He said softly, keeping his eyes casted down to his boots.
"I can't tell you that I understand cause I won't experience that but I'm proud of you, Bucky." Lee said making sure to make space between the two of them.

Bucky took a deep breath before looking back at you and nodding his head.
You looked at Lee and gave a signal that it was okay to continue.

The rest of the haircut went smoothly and Bucky had finally relaxed in the chair and let Lee work his magic.

Once Lee had finished Bucky's hair he slowly rested his hands on Bucky's shoulders.

You looking at Bucky's face waiting to see what his reaction would be to his new hairstyle.
After you gave a slight squeeze to his hand, Bucky slowly opened his eyes and saw himself in the mirror. You could see he was remembering some bits of his past.

Bucky slowly turned his head from side to side looking at his hair from almost every angle.

"I look like the old me or I guess the new me." Bucky said, taking a breath.
" You look handsome as always, my love," you said, rubbing the pad of your thumb over the back of his hand.
Bucky couldn't help the grin that made its way onto his face at your compliment.
"I feel human again." He said honestly.

If only the two of you knew what was about to come.

Outside Steve continued to talk on the phone seeing the old school barber shop that Bucky and himself would go to when they needed a trim.

He took a moment to check his surroundings feeling slightly paranoid that someone had been watching him.

"Hey Tony, I'm going to need to let you go." He spoke into his phone making eye contact with a man standing on the other side of the road.
At first he thought maybe the pedestrian was lost or recognized him as Captain America.

Just as Steve took a step towards the person they darted away from him and that's when he saw the flash of red on the bicep as they ran.

The HYDRA emblem printed on their jacket like a popular logo.

Steve felt the air leave his lungs as he looked inside the barber shop and saw you and Bucky near the window holding hands as the elderly man snipped away at his hair.
They were watching the two of you inside the building.

They would now know you meant something to Bucky.
He didn't want to think about what they would do with that information but he could only hope that the agent would think you were just a kind woman comforting someone and nothing more for the sake of Bucky and you.

The HYDRA agent continued to run, bringing their burner cell phone to their ear.
"Sir, the Winter Soldier seems to have found his summer, but I was caught by the Captain." The agent spoke in Russian.
"Continue your watch on our agent and gather information." The man spoke on the other side.
"Yes, sir," was all the agent could say before the line went dead leaving the burner useless.

Word Count:1429